Philip Morris ends lawsuit against S.F.

Tobacco giant Philip Morris has dropped its federal lawsuit against The City over its ban of selling tobacco products in pharmacies, City Attorney Dennis Herrera said Thursday.

San Francisco became the first city in the nation last year to ban the sale of tobacco products in pharmacies. The ban impacted about 60 drug stores. City officials say drugstores such as Walgreens are supposed to promote health and should not sell harmful tobacco products.

The ban does not affect grocery stores or big-box chains that may also have onsite pharmacies.

Philip Morris USA Inc. sued The City in federal court in September 2008 arguing that the law — which was introduced by Mayor Gavin Newsom and approved by the Board of Supervisors — violated its free speech rights by banning tobacco advertising and displays in the businesses. The company had lost its legal argument for a court-ordered injunction to prevent the law from going into effect, a ruling held up by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals last month.

“San Francisco’s local officials have the right and the duty to protect public health, and in this case they have a compelling rationale,” Herrera said in a statement. “Consumers — and especially young people — should reasonably expect pharmacies to serve their health needs, not to enable our leading cause of preventable death.”

Walgreen Co. has also sued The City seeking to invalidate the law. The company argues, among other points, that the ordinance violates the retailer’s right to equal protection under the state and federal constitutions. The company’s lawsuit was dismissed in San Francisco Superior Court and is now before the California Court of Appeal.

jsabatini@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsGovernment & PoliticsLocalPoliticsSan Franciscotobacco

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Mayor London Breed said The City would pause reopening plans in order to “make sure we continue our cautious and deliberate approach.” <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
SF slows down reopening after COVID-19 cases rise

Restaurants no longer permitted to increase indoor dining capacity to 50 percent

Toilet (Shutterstock)
Table salt and poop: Testing for COVID-19 in S.F. sewage

The City’s sewers could provide an early warning of fresh outbreaks

CCSF file photo
Workforce development fund to support training programs at City College

Supervisors back plans to use $500K toward economic recovery efforts through CCSF

Lakeshore Elementary School was closed in March shortly before SFUSD closed all schools due to coronavirus concerns. The district is now working to prepare all elementary schools to reopen by mid-January.<ins> (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
School district preparing buildings for hybrid learning

SFUSD plans to use 72 elementary schools and 12 early education sites for first phase of reopening

Most Read