PG&E Corp. says correction of San Carlos pipeline information not a safety risk

David Paul Morris/Bloomberg via Getty ImagesTony Earley

PG&E Corp.’s chief executive officer told California public utilities commissioners Monday that a belated and allegedly misleading correction of information on a San Carlos natural gas pipeline did not pose a safety risk.

At a hearing at the PG&E headquarters in San Francisco, CEO Tony Earley said PG&E managers and engineers believed the pipeline, known as Line 147, was safe because it had passed a high-pressure water test in 2011, a year before the utility discovered it had provided the California Public Utilities Commission with incorrect information about the types of seams in the line.

But Earley agreed the utility erred in waiting nine months to submit a public filing to the commission correcting the records.

Earley maintained, however, “I found no action that constituted an intentional effort to mislead the commission.”

PG&E began learning in October 2012 that three pipeline segments it had listed as seamless, and a fourth segment recorded as having a strong weld, in fact had a weaker type of weld. The information affected the maximum pressure allowed in the pipe, according to the utility.

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

‘Mad Mob’ aims to influence SF City Hall on mental health policies

They are fed up with City Hall telling those who need the services what’s best for them

Police efforts to stem 49ers revelry in Mission District spark backlash

SFPD preparing for potential bonfires, vandalism on Super Bowl Sunday

Calendar of Events: San Francisco celebrates the Year of the Rat

JAN. 25 Choy Sun Doe Day: The San Francisco Chinese Chamber of… Continue reading

BART study: Ending paper tickets would ‘disproportionately’ impact low-income riders, people of color

When BART eventually eliminates its magnetic-stripe paper tickets from use, it will… Continue reading

Second case of respiratory coronavirus confirmed in U.S.

The woman, who is in her 60s, remained hospitalized Friday and her condition had been stabilized

Most Read