Perata blames governor for slow response to oil spill

State Senate President pro Tem Don Perata (D-Oakland) charged today that California is poorly prepared to deal with oil spills because Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger hasn't made appointments to the regional water board or fully funded and staffed an oil spill prevention program.

Speaking at a news conference at the Middle Harbor Shoreline Park, which is located near Oakland's waterfront, Perata said Schwarzenegger didn't follow a recommendation by his Department of Finance in 2005 that the oil spill program have its funding and staffing boosted because it's drastically under-funded.

Perata also said that last month Schwarzenegger vetoed a bill authored by Perata that would have strengthened the state's nine regional water boards and made California's frontline enforcers of water laws more

effective and more accountable to the public.

Perata said nearly half of the seats on the state's regional water quality board are empty because Schwarzenegger hasn't filled them.

He said the San Francisco Regional Water Quality Board, which meets in Oakland, doesn't currently have enough members for a quorum and thus can't even meet to decide how to take action on the Cosco Busan spill, which dumped 58,000 gallons of toxic fuel into the San Francisco Bay last week.

Perata said he wants to raise the 5-cent-per-gallon fee the state currently imposes on oil companies, whom he called “polluters,” to provide more funds for the marine oil spill prevention program and fill 34 positions.

Spokespersons for Schwarzenegger weren't immediately available for comment.

— Bay City News

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

District Attorney Chesa Boudin announces charges against former SFPD Officer Christopher Samoyoa in the 2017 fatal shooting of Keita O’Neill at a press conference outside the Hall of Justice on Monday, Nov. 23, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
DA Boudin charges fired SFPD officer with manslaughter over fatal shooting

Ex-Officer Christopher Samayoa to face criminal charges in killing of Keita O’Neil

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, during a news conference on March 10, 2020. (Myung J. Chun/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
LA County suspends outdoor dining at restaurants as coronavirus surges

By Alex Wigglesworth Los Angeles Times Los Angeles County public health officials… Continue reading

Renderings of the main entrance to upcoming Mission Bay elementary school on Owens Street. (Courtesy photo)
SFUSD offers first look at planned Mission Bay elementary school

San Francisco school officials this month unveiled the design of a planned… Continue reading

James Coleman (Courtesy Morgan McCarthy)
Young progressive set to shake up South City

The 21-year-old is the newest Councilmember for District 4

Arturo Mendez, co-curator of the Mission Arts Performance Project, invites artists of all types to participate in the free-wheeling community program. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Mission Arts Performance Project could be poised for a comeback

Before the pandemic, the Mission Arts Performance Project, the roving multimedia art… Continue reading

Most Read