A food handler in San Francisco's North Beach neighborhood has been diagnosed with Hepatitis A, a city public health department spokeswoman said.
Anyone who ate at Comstock Saloon, located at 155 Columbus Ave., and ate or drank in the restaurant on Dec. 12, 13, 14, 15 or 19, may have been exposed to the disease.
“The worker is currently restricted from work until he or she is no longer contagious. The risk of a restaurant patron having been infected is extremely low, but we need the medical community and restaurant patrons to be aware of the possibility of contracting this disease,” city Health officer Dr. Tomas Aragon said in a statement released Tuesday.
Anyone who has been vaccinated for Hepatitis A is protected and does not need to seek treatment but those who are unvaccinated should consult their medical provider and receive a vaccine, which can protect a person within 14 days of possible exposure.
Signs of contracting the disease won't be visible until two to six weeks after ingesting food or drink handled by an infected person.
Symptoms of Hepatitis A include mild fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, right upper abdominal pain, dark urine and jaundice.
San Francisco residents who ate or drank at Comstock Saloon at the listed dates should contact their medical provider or call 311 or (415) 701-2311 for more information.
Patrons from outside San Francisco should contact their local health department for assistance.