Party maestro may guide city’s events

With five months left until Halloween, The City is close to hiring a full-time employee who will be tasked with organizing an alternative to the popular Castro party.

The Entertainment Commission’s pick for the job, which pays $45,000 a year under an ordinance passed in February, has yet to accept the position, according to the commission’s Executive Director Bob Davis. An announcement is expected next week, however, and community organizers said it’s about time.

Halloween has drawn thousands of revelers to the Castro for decades, but recent parties, which have drawn more than 250,000 people, have resulted in bloodshed. Officials clamped down on a “non-event” last year.

Several ideas are being considered to avoid a similar crackdown this year, including a Halloween parade or a handful of concurrent neighborhood parties throughout San Francisco, Supervisor Bevan Dufty told The Examiner on Wednesday. Dufty also said The City has reached at least one sponsorship agreement to help fund a large tent or concert venue.

In February, the Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance sponsored by Dufty creating a position responsible for the promotion and safety of city events as well as planning future events. The events manager may also be called on to work on other soirees, such as ING Bay to Breakers.

bbegin@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

The Rev. Norman Fong of the Chinatown Community Development Center joined San Francisco city leaders and community partners in a “Campaign for Solidarity” at Civic Center Plaza on Saturday, Apr 17, 2021. (CraigLee/Special to the S.F. Examiner)
City launches ‘Campaign for Solidarity’ to combat racial violence

Mayor London Breed, the city’s Human Rights Commission and community leaders launched… Continue reading

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Most Read