Parents say son falsely arrested, file suit

Claiming their 14-year-old son was falsely arrested in a beating case and locked up for more than two weeks before being exonerated, a family has filed a civil rights lawsuit against the city of San Mateo.

Kasitalia “Gus” Naufahu and Luisa Asinate Pole Naufahu, residents of San Mateo who are representing themselves, filed the $2 million suit in San Mateo County Superior Court on March 11.

The Naufahus, who run a tutoring program for Pacific Islander youth in the city, claim that on April 26, 2007, their son was falsely arrested for knocking someone unconscious with a punch after two eyewitnesses put him at the scene. The family claims police arrested the boy despite two eyewitnesses later failing to pick him out of a photo lineup and despite a third witness fingering a different suspect.

Charges were dropped against the boy after another suspect reportedly turned himself in, according to the lawsuit. City officials said another person has been charged in the case but would not name the suspect.

San Mateo city attorney Shawn Mason said the family filed the lawsuit after the city denied their claim.

“We believed there was no wrongdoing on the part of the Police Department. The officers did not witness the incident and relied on the statement of an eyewitness. He was not detained for any other reasons than a good faith belief that he was the assailant,” Mason said.

Just before his arrest, the boy had gathered with church members mourning a family friend’s death, according to the lawsuit. He had left to walk to a store in downtown San Mateo with friends, but was still many blocks away from where the crime occurred, the lawsuit stated. He spent 16 days at Hillcrest Juvenile Hall, according to the lawsuit.

The San Mateo Police Department, Chief Susan Manheimer and one of the arresting officers, J. Henley, are also named in the suit.

The lawsuit is the family’s second against the city. The boy’s parents, his brother and grandfather are currently suing in federal court, claiming the boy’s civil rights were violated after police searched his room on April 20, 2006, without permission. It is uncertain why the police searched the room.

In their March 11 lawsuit, the Naufahus allege that Henley falsified a police report and lied about their son’s involvement under oath, that police did not have probable cause to arrest their son, ignored evidence of his innocence and falsely imprisoned him.

Aisake Naufahu, a relative of the family’s, filed suit last year against the police department, claiming he was the victim of racial profiling during a traffic stop. That case has not been settled, Mason said.

tbarak@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Police release an image a cracked windshield on a Prius that Cesar Vargas allegedly tried to carjack. Vargas, who was shot by police a short time later, can be seen in videos jumping on the windshield and pushing a Muni passenger who disembarked from a bus. (Courtesy SFPD
SFPD releases videos of deadly police shooting

Cesar Vargas killed after reports of carjacking with knife

New legislation would make sure supportive housing tenants don’t pay more than 30 percent of their income for rent.. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner))
Supportive housing tenants could get more help paying the rent

Supportive housing tenants struggling to pay rent could soon see their payments… Continue reading

Organizers of the San Francisco International Arts Festival had planned to use parts of Fort Mason including the Parade Ground, Eucalyptus Grove and Black Point Battery to host performances by about a dozen Bay Area arts groups. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Arts festival sues city over permit denial

Organizer says outdoor performances should be treated like demonstrations, religious gatherings

An oversight body for San Francisco’s mental health programs may be restructured after questions were raised about its management and lack of effectiveness. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Behavioral health oversight body looks for new start — and staff — after mismanagement

Members of an oversight body for San Francisco’s behavioral health programs said… Continue reading

The City requires the recycling or reuse of debris material removed from a construction project site. <ins>(Emma Chiang/Special to S.F. Examiner)</ins>
<ins></ins>
Permits proposed for haulers of construction debris to achieve zero-waste

San Francisco plans to tighten regulations on the disposal of construction and… Continue reading

Most Read