Palace of Fine Arts may get makeover

New benches, lights and trees similar to those that provided shade 91 years ago are slated to take root at the Palace of Fine Arts Park if the redesign work on the national landmark gets the green light today.

In addition to landscaping work, the latest installment in a $21 million, four-year restorative effort — dubbed Campaign for the Palace of Fine Arts — includes removing 14 metal doors and louvers on the colonnade and rotunda and replacing them.

The aging doors need to be replaced because they are a safety concern, said Jan Berckefeldt, executive director of the Maybeck Foundation. The nonprofit, named after the Palace’s architect, Bernard Maybeck, has raised $14.8 million to restore the landmark to its 1915 splendor.

The project started in 2004 with the re-roofing of the rotunda dome. Ayear ago, landscape experts began restoring the lagoon. The lagoon work is slated for completion in about a week, Berckefeldt said.

Other plans include making seismic upgrades and the planting of plants to provide food and shelter for birds and lagoon wildlife.

The campaign to renovate the Palace was launched in 2003, as the structure fell into disrepair. It was reconstructed in the 1960s, with little work since then.

The backdrop for movies ranging from “Vertigo” to “So I Married an Axe Murderer” draws about a million visitors each year, Berckefeldt said.

The landmark — well-known as a site for wedding photographs — will likely have fewer bridal customers once the rotunda and colonnade work gets under way, said Kevin O’Brien, executive director of the Palace of Fine Arts Theatre.

The latest proposal is likely to take about a year to complete.

The City’s Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board is today scheduled to consider the proposal. The panel is expected to authorize that the work begin.

mcarroll@examiner.comBay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Many famillies have supported keeping John F. Kennedy Drive in Golden Gate Park free of car traffic. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Fight over future of JFK Drive heats up

Shamann Walton compares accessibilty issues to segregation, likens street closure to ‘1950s South’

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, pictured in March, is unveiling a series of budget proposals this week. (Al Seib/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Newsom’s school plan has billions for college savings accounts, after school programs and more

Hannah Wiley The Sacramento Bee California Gov. Gavin Newsom wants to send… Continue reading

Tara Hobson, center, principal at SF International High School, welcomes a student back on Monday, April 26, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFUSD seniors get a chance to say goodbye to school in person

Deal to briefly return older students to school leaves many parents and teens dissatisfied

Forward Andrew Wiggins hits a layback jumper to protect the lead late in the fourth quarter as the Golden State Warriors take on the Phoenix Suns at Chase Center on Tuesday, May 11, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Wiggins erupts for 38 points as Warriors rally past Suns 122-116

A night after beating the NBA-leading Utah Jazz, the Golden State Warriors… Continue reading

A tent sits on the sidewalk at Hayes and Laguna streets in Hayes Valley on Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Gavin Newsom wants to spend billions to fight homelessness in California

Hannah Wiley The Sacramento Bee California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced on Tuesday… Continue reading

Most Read