One of three armed crooks in Redwood City home invasion sentenced to 13 years

One of three armed robbers who stormed into a Redwood City family’s home claiming to be federal cops — even though one of the crooks wore a hat with the word “Sheriff” imprinted on it — was sentenced to 13 years in state prison for the crime Wednesday.

Miguel Angel Valle, 29, pleaded no contest to multiple felony counts related to the March 21, 2010 heist.

Valle and two others, including Brando Martinez, entered the home on Hoover Street around 1 a.m. toting guns, District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said. They ordered a father and his three sons to the floor. They bound the family in duct tape and demanded to tell them where the money and safe was, Wagstaffe said.

The father led them to the safe. Martinez, who was sentenced for the crime to 14 years state prison on Oct. 4, put a gun to the father’s head and threatened to shoot him if he didn’t open it. Only problem? There was no money in the safe. So Martinez then struck one of the son’s in the head with the gun, demanding money, Wagstaffe said.

The third robber, who remains on the lam, slightly cut a second son’s ear in an effort to locate the cash, the district attorney said.

The robbers heard sirens approaching and fled with some jewelry. Martinez was apprehended nearby. Valle was later apprehended. His fingerprints were found on the duct tape, Wagstaffe said.

maldax@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLaw and DisorderSan FranciscoSFPD

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Skier Andy Padlo crosses a frozen Spicer Reservoir. (Courtesy photo)
Stormy weather tests skiers’ mettle on Dardanelle traverse

Overcoming challenges makes outings more rewarding

Most Read