Old explosive device shuts S.F.'s Sixth St. down

A bomb scare on Sixth Street on Wednesday shut down traffic in both directions for two hours as police removed a military explosive device from a man’s apartment. No one was injured.

At 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, police received a call saying there was an old unidentified type of munitions in a room at the Lawrence Hotel on Sixth Street between Stevenson and Jessie streets in the Tenderloin, San Francisco police Sgt. Steve Mannina said.

A man called police to report that a friend who had recently been taken to the hospital for unknown medical reasons had been keeping some type of military munitions in his room at the Sixth Street hotel since the early 1970s, according to police.

The Police Department’s Explosive Ordinance Disposal team, otherwise known as the bomb squad, responded to the hotel in the Tenderloin and was directed to the room by the caller. The squad identified something they described as a “mortar,” determined it to be safe and removed it, Mannina said.

Some hotel residents were evacuated during the search, and but no one was injured during the scare, he said.

“Traffic was temporarily affected because they shut down Sixth Street while this was going on,” Mannina said.

Police have not confirmed whether the man keeping the mortar was a military veteran.

“According to the reporting party, it’s been there since the early 1970s, so we think it’s been there quite some time,” Mannina said.

dsmith@examiner.com


Did the Market Street closure affect your commute?

Share your comments below.

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

District Attorney Chesa Boudin announces charges against former SFPD Officer Christopher Samoyoa in the 2017 fatal shooting of Keita O’Neill at a press conference outside the Hall of Justice on Monday, Nov. 23, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
DA Boudin charges fired SFPD officer with manslaughter over fatal shooting

Ex-Officer Christopher Samayoa to face criminal charges in killing of Keita O’Neil

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, during a news conference on March 10, 2020. (Myung J. Chun/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
LA County suspends outdoor dining at restaurants as coronavirus surges

By Alex Wigglesworth Los Angeles Times Los Angeles County public health officials… Continue reading

Renderings of the main entrance to upcoming Mission Bay elementary school on Owens Street. (Courtesy photo)
SFUSD offers first look at planned Mission Bay elementary school

San Francisco school officials this month unveiled the design of a planned… Continue reading

James Coleman (Courtesy Morgan McCarthy)
Young progressive set to shake up South City

The 21-year-old is the newest Councilmember for District 4

Arturo Mendez, co-curator of the Mission Arts Performance Project, invites artists of all types to participate in the free-wheeling community program. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Mission Arts Performance Project could be poised for a comeback

Before the pandemic, the Mission Arts Performance Project, the roving multimedia art… Continue reading

Most Read