Official trying to revive Redwood City’s July 4 fireworks

At least one member of the agency responsible for putting on the city’s annual July Fourth fireworks is trying to get the show back in the air before Independence Day.

The Peninsula Celebration Association, which has organized Redwood City’s July Fourth celebration since 1939, last week pulled the plug on this year’s fireworks. But former PCA President Paul Sanfilipo is talking with city officials in an effort to bring them back.

“PCA is still working with the city,” Sanfilipo said. “If it happens, Seaport Boulevard would be closed to general traffic, mainly because of traffic and the rowdiness of the people.”

PCA President Robert Slusser cited problems with safety, security and traffic as reasons why this year’s fireworks show would be canceled.

Mayor Barbara Pierce confirmed Sanfilipo is working with local police and fire officials but said it’s too soon to tell whether they’ll make their comeback this year.

Meanwhile, Yolanda Russell, coach for the baton-toting Redwood City Twirlers, is still reeling from the news that her group has been banned from the July Fourth parade after 18 years, reportedly because their troupe’s pace causes gaps in the procession. She is giving herself until Tuesday to decide whether to accept PCA’s offer of a spot on the festival stage.

Bay Area NewsLocalneighborhoods

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Lers Ros Thai restaurant on Larkin Street in the Tenderloin is one of many throughout The City to have begun offering outdoor dining through the Shared Spaces program since the pandemic began. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Bay Area counties to shut down outdoor dining, non-essential businesses

Regional stay-at-home order to take effect Sunday, sooner than statewide order announced Thursday

Former Golden State Warriors’ Kevin Durant walks up to receive his 2017-18 Championship ring at Oracle Arena in Oakland on Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2018. Durant, now playing with the Brooklyn Nets, will play against his former team at Chase Center in February. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Kevin Durant to face former teammates at Chase Center in February

Schedule released Friday calls for Warriors to play Christmas and New Year’s Day games

Photo by Abalone Runner/ <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74406455" target="_blank">CC BY-SA 4.0</a>
Former Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard facing domestic violence, child abuse charges

Prominent Bay Area political strategist Nathan Ballard is facing domestic violence and… Continue reading

Construction crews work on new red bus rapid transit lanes on Van Ness Avenue on Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board scrutinizes Van Ness BRT spending

Proposed contract modification would allocate $2.6 million for pedestrian monitors

Mayor London Breed said “I need to hold myself to a higher standard” in response to criticism of a recent meal at a Napa Valley restaurant. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed calls criticism for French Laundry trip ‘fair’

Mayor said she regrets that actions ‘distracted’ from public health message as COVID-19 cases rise

Most Read