Occupy protesters clash with cops in Oakland

Occupy Oakland demonstrators took to the streets Tuesday evening after their downtown camp was broken up in the early morning, but they were met by a wall of police looking to stop them from reconvening the community.

Officers deployed tear gas on roughly 100 protesters at Frank Ogawa Plaza multiple times Tuesday night after a third official order to disperse.

The protesters, who began the rally about 4 p.m., dispersed after the gas was released. The demonstrators announced earlier that they would return to the plaza every night at 6 p.m. to continue the protest.

BART closed Oakland’s 12th Street station because of the demonstration.

Between 400 and 500 protesters began the march at the main branch of the Oakland Public Library heading to Frank Ogawa Plaza with the aim of retaking the space. The crowd appeared to grow to the thousands throughout the night.

Confrontations broke out between officers and protesters and police deployed smoke grenades, which caused loud noises and filled the area with smoke. Protesters threw paint on the officers and minor altercations occurred.

Authorities denied reports that they used flash-bang canisters to help break up the crowd, saying the loud noises came from large firecrackers thrown at police by protesters.

The Tuesday evening skirmishes came after police removed about 170 demonstrators who had been staying overnight on a plaza outside City Hall for more than two weeks. City officials said 85 people were arrested in the morning raid.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

SF art school investigates theater class practice that had students undressing together

‘I remember being mortified and humiliated’

By Ida Mojadad
Wine in a can: San Francisco startup backed by music heavyweights

Jay-Z and The Chainsmokers backing this year’s hit holiday gift

By Jeff Elder
Is the future of farming moving indoors?

Bay Area startups are using tech to grow food in the face of climate change

By Jessica Wolfrom