Oakland man to serve 19 years in prison for robbery spree

A 25-year-old Oakland man will serve 19 years in prison for a robbery spree last year in the Bay Area, San Mateo County prosecutors said.

Daray Mose pleaded no contest to several charges including felony robbery following a spree that occurred in at least five cities in the Bay Area.

Prosecutors said that at about 10 a.m. on July 28, 2016, a 16-year-old boy approached a 73-year-old man in East Palo Alto and brandished a dark pistol.

The boy demanded money from the man. When the man said he had none, the boy hit him on the head with the pistol, causing the man to fall to the ground.

Prosecutors said the boy took the man’s wallet and got into a white Dodge Caravan that Mose was driving.

About 20 minutes later, the boy approached a person in Menlo Park and pointed a silver and black handgun at him. The boy demanded money, and after the victim gave him cash, the boy demanded his cellphone.

Prosecutors said when the victim told the boy he needed the phone for work, the boy said that he would “clock” him if the victim didn’t give him the phone.

Prosecutors said the victim handed over the phone and saw the boy get into a white Dodge Caravan. The victim then noted the license plate number.

That day, Mose and the boy committed seven other armed robberies, which occurred in Fremont, Hayward and Newark.

Prosecutors said the pair was arrested later in the day in Fremont after a police chase that ended with a minor crash.

Mose fled from the van and was apprehended about two hours later after a search for him.

The boy was in the van when he was arrested. Prosecutors said that near the boy’s feet was a loaded semi-automatic gun.

Prosecutors said police found the 73-year-old man’s credit cards in the Dodge.

Mose was sentenced to four years for his role in the San Mateo County robberies and 15 years for his role in the Alameda County crimes.

Defense attorney Lauren Potter was not immediately available for comment.

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

The admissions process at the academically competitive Lowell High School is set to change this year due to coronavirus restritions. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Lowell’s selective admissions process put on hold this year — and more changes may be in the works

School board votes unanimously to use normal student assignment lottery for competitive school

Dr. Vincent Matthews, superintendent of the San Francisco Unified School District, said Tuesday that student would not be back in school before the end of this calendar year. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Superintendent: City schools will not reopen before the end of the year

San Francisco public schools won’t reopen to students for the rest of… Continue reading

San Francisco has failed to reduce traffic deaths enough to meet its Vision Zero goal. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
San Francisco not on track to meet Vision Zero goals by 2024

Hamstrung by state laws, dwindling budget and limited resources, SFMTA tries to chart path forward

San Francisco will allow bars selling drinks, and not food, to begin serving customers outdoors under health guidelines going into effect next month. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SF becomes first Bay Area County to move to least restrictive COVID-19 category

Change to ‘yellow’ will allow more indoor dining and fitness, reopening non-essential offices

City officials want to install more red light cameras but the process is costly and time consuming. (Shutterstock)
Transit officials push for more red light cameras

SFMTA says ‘capital crunch’ and dragging timelines make expanding the program cumbersome

Most Read