“Nothing hazardous” found in high school vapor scare

A hazardous materials crew didn't find any harmful substances at Mills High School in Millbrae Tuesdy afternoon when they were called to
investigate a mysterious vapor coming from the school's boiler room.

About two dozen firefighters and members of the county's hazardous materials team responded to the school, located at 400 Murchison Drive, after a fire alarm alerted authorities of the vapor just before noon, San Mateo County Office of Emergency Services district coordinator Steve Mahaley said.

School is out for the holidays, but about 30 students and staff on the campus were told to leave while emergency personnel investigated the
vapor, he said.

“We went in and were able to determine there was nothing hazardous,” Mahaley said.

He said everyone had cleared the scene just after 3 p.m.

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Muni to run shorter trains after discovering engineering defect

The problem is called “shear pin fatigue,” and a shear pin is a vital part helping to join trains together.

Shoe guru John Fluevog celebrates 50 years

Designer’s new book is ‘Unique Soles for Unique Souls’

Homeless sweep leads to few shelter placements

City officials report that the removal of a large homeless encampment from… Continue reading

Man injured in SF police shooting suspected of assault, battery

DA has yet to file formal charges against Jamaica Hampton, 24

It’s official: SF e-scooter company workers vote to unionize, a first

San Francisco e-scooter company Spin may be the first in the nation… Continue reading

Most Read