Newsom requests nightlife security report by Sept. 1

Following violence in Union Square, “[Mayor Gavin Newsom] requested a group of venue operators to come to City Hall and talk with him about what could be done. And so approximately 12 venue operators met with the mayor, members of the staff, myself and commander Kitt Crenshaw,” said Jocelyn Kane, deputy director of San Francisco’s Entertainment Commission.

“The immediate discussion obviously was the reaction to the weekend incidents in Union Square and SoMa and focused essentially on how to further professionalize the industry and avoid these kinds of things in to the future,” she said. “It’s been a tough summer as you know.”

“The mayor showed his commitment I think to this by spending more than 1½ hours with the group without reaching for his cell at all, and was completely attentive, discussing the best practices, the ways in which The City, including the Police Department, the Entertainment Commission and his office could step up to promote a safer nightlife in general. The mayor has asked for a draft document of security best practices by the first of September,” Kane said.

Another meeting was held Aug. 18 where about 70 entertainment promoters showed up at City Hall with “conversations around the need to bring nightlife safety to San Francisco and professionalize the promotions industry,” Kane said.

She said there was “positive response” about an idea of requiring promoters to register if they hold events in San Francisco. Board of Supervisors President David Chiu is considering introducing legislation in September that would require a promoter registry.

Bay Area NewsGovernment & PoliticsPoliticsUnder the Dome

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Kiana Williams
Stanford’s Kiana Williams drafted by WNBA champion Seattle Storm

Kiana Williams is going from one championship team to another. A senior… Continue reading

Most Read