Newsom: Olympic queries could jeopardize S.F. bid

Mayor Gavin Newsom came out of The City's meeting with U.S. Olympic officials Thursday morning with a pragmatic attitude, noting that if questions about some key venues for the international sporting event couldn't be answered within the organization’s timeline, San Francisco might have to walk away from a possible bid for the 2016 summer games.

The City — along with Chicago and Los Angeles — is on the short list of contenders to be the nation’s choice to compete with other cities worldwide for the honor of hosting the Olympic Games.

Other cities worldwide that have expressed interest in hosting the 2016 games include Rome and Milan in Italy; Madrid, Spain; Hamburg, Germany; and the Japanese cities of Tokyo and Fukuoka.

Newsom has previously stated that The City, along with the Bay Area, was in a good position to compete for the Olympics because the region already had 83 percent of the necessary venues to host the sporting event in place.

On Thursday, he conceded that “83 percent is not 100 percent.”

Newsom called the no-frills meeting, held within two hours in an office at the San Francisco Ferry Building, “a very honest and open discussion.”

San Francisco’s next step is to complete the U.S. Olympic Committee’s domestic applicant questionnaire by the third weekin September.

“I believe we’ll have real clarity in the next month on whether we can deliver on their expectations,” Newsom said.

The U.S. Olympic Committee had concerns related to The City’s ability to secure an appropriate venue for the opening and closing ceremonies, Newsom said. In a previous unsuccessful bid for the 2012 Olympics, the Bay Area’s Olympic bid committee proposed hosting the highlight events at Stanford University, an idea that many thought was less desirable than having the ceremonies within San Francisco’s city limits. Also, a venue for the popular track and field events, among others, has not been confirmed, Newsom said.

There has been discussion about whether a new 49ers stadium proposed for Candlestick Point would meet the Olympic need, but, Newsom said, “There’s an increasingly strong argument that NFL stadiums aren't necessarily the best opening and closing venues.”

Chicago officials are also struggling with the issue of finding an Olympic-sized stadium that can hold at least 75,000 people; city officials have proposed constructing a temporary stadium near an existing waterfront football stadium, an idea that has received some resistance, according to reports.

New York, which won the domestic bid for the 2012 Olympics, may have lost out in the international competition to London due to its problems over funding and building a stadium, according to the bid leader for the East Coast city.

Although 2016 is 10 years away, Newsom said it was the USOC’s timeline that might force a decision for The City to bow out of the competition. The national organization has said that it will decide by the end of March if it will choose a city to compete internationally for the 2016 games.

“I don't want to lead the USOC on, that San Francisco can deliver a games if we feel there's some risk,” he said.

beslinger@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

District Attorney Chesa Boudin announces charges against former SFPD Officer Christopher Samoyoa in the 2017 fatal shooting of Keita O’Neill at a press conference outside the Hall of Justice on Monday, Nov. 23, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
DA Boudin charges fired SFPD officer with manslaughter over fatal shooting

Ex-Officer Christopher Samayoa to face criminal charges in killing of Keita O’Neil

The area near the Castro Muni Metro Station is expected to be affected by construction work on the Twin Peaks Tunnel, with lane closures on Market Street and some loss of parking. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Construction on Twin Peaks Tunnel to begin November 30

Area around Castro Muni Station will see greatest impacts including lane closures on Market Street

(Genaro Molina/Pool/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Newsom calls latest surge of COVID-19 cases ‘unprecendented’

By Eli Walsh Bay City News Foundation California’s latest surge of COVID-19… Continue reading

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, during a news conference on March 10, 2020. (Myung J. Chun/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
LA County suspends outdoor dining at restaurants as coronavirus surges

By Alex Wigglesworth Los Angeles Times Los Angeles County public health officials… Continue reading

Renderings of the main entrance to upcoming Mission Bay elementary school on Owens Street. (Courtesy photo)
SFUSD offers first look at planned Mission Bay elementary school

San Francisco school officials this month unveiled the design of a planned… Continue reading

Most Read