Newsom: Mid-year cut decisions next week

Mayor Gavin Newsom ordered city departments to come up with their share in cuts to close the city’s operating budget deficit for the current fiscal year of about $45 million.

Those cut ideas were due to the Mayor’s Office last Friday.  It remains unclear the impact, but whatever it is it will get worse since the city is projecting a deficit of $522.2 million for the upcoming fiscal year, which begins July 1.

“This week we’re processing them, I received them on Friday,” Newsom said. “Most likely next week, [we'll make a decision on them].”
It doesn’t sound like Newsom is pleased with all of the department heads when it comes to their cut proposals. “I will say, in the preliminary numbers, some were good, some were not so good,” Newsom said. “At this stage, I got to put everything together. Some departments came back with things they know that I absolutely am firmly going to reject. We’ll have to sit down with them first and say, look, we have to come up with some better ideas.”

One of the challenges, Newsom said, is some department heads offered up for cuts budget items that members of the Board of Supervisors specifically allocated money for during the budget process, referred to often as add-backs. Newsom said “a lot” of the cut proposals were things supervisors had added back. “Here’s the challenge: A lot of them were board add-backs, because those were the things that weren’t a priority last year from our perspective but the board clearly has them as a priority. So I want to be respectful of the board add-backs.”
 

Bay Area NewsGovernment & PoliticsPoliticsUnder the Dome

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Gov. Gavin Newsom gave an update on COVID-19 cases on Thursday Nov. 3, 2020. (Examiner screenshot)
Newsom announces statewide stay-at-home order tied to availability of hospital beds

Order will take effect in Bay Area when intensive care unit capacity falls below 15 percent

Photo by Abalone Runner/ <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74406455" target="_blank">CC BY-SA 4.0</a>
Former Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard facing domestic violence, child abuse charges

Prominent Bay Area political strategist Nathan Ballard is facing domestic violence and… Continue reading

Construction crews work on new red bus rapid transit lanes on Van Ness Avenue on Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board scrutinizes Van Ness BRT spending

Proposed contract modification would allocate $2.6 million for pedestrian monitors

Mayor London Breed said “I need to hold myself to a higher standard” in response to criticism of a recent meal at a Napa Valley restaurant. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed calls criticism for French Laundry trip ‘fair’

Mayor said she regrets that actions ‘distracted’ from public health message as COVID-19 cases rise

City Administrator Naomi Kelly said Wednesday that the allegations against her husband were “based on the word of a liar.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Administrator Naomi Kelly takes leave after feds charge husband

High-ranking official under scrutiny over 2016 China trip

Most Read