New BART trains unlikely to be in service by Thanksgiving

BART’s new “Fleet of the Future” was initially expected to roll out in September. (Courtesy BART)

BART’s new “Fleet of the Future” was initially expected to roll out in September. (Courtesy BART)

There’s good news and bad news on BART’s new 775-car fleet: The manufacturer has a fix for problems that surfaced during a test run, but it’s highly unlikely any of the trains will be in service by Thanksgiving.

New BART train cars flunked a safety inspection by the California Public Utilities Commission, a state regulatory agency, earlier this month, delaying approval of the cars by the commission.

SEE RELATED: BART’s new train cars fail regulatory test, possibly delaying rollout

Paul Oversier, the system’s assistant general manager, told the BART board Thursday during a board meeting that Bombardier, the manufacturer, has solutions to the issues that came up, according to BART spokesperson Jim Allison.

“BART is going through the CPUC’s punch list and will be responding to their questions shortly. Then CPUC inspectors need to ride the train with us again,” Allison said in an email.

He was referring to the fact that after the repairs are made, members of the utilities commission will once again take a test drive. The problems initially surfaced during a test run of a 10-car pilot train with a Utilities Commission team aboard.

“So we are aiming to put the 10 new cars into service later this month or possibly early December. Shouldn’t be later than December 15th,” Allison said.

BART had earlier set Thanksgiving as its goal for getting some of the trains into service.Transit

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Basketball (Shutterstock)
SI alum Begovich gets his moment, but Stanford falls on Senior Day

MAPLES PAVILION — Generally speaking, Stanford’s home finale on Saturday afternoon, a… Continue reading

U.S. Attorney David Anderson announces federal firearms charges against two men for their roles in a March 2019 shooting outside the Fillmore Heritage Center in a news conference alongside SFPD staff at the Phillip Burton Federal Building on Thursday, Jan. 9, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Departing U.S. attorney predicts corruption probe will continue

David Anderson shook up City Hall as top federal prosecutor

Board of Supervisors President Shamann Walton, a former school board member, has been asked to help secure an agreement between the school district and teacher’s union. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
 <ins></ins>
Supervisor Walton tapped to mediate teacher contract talks

District and union at odds over hours in-person students should be in the classroom

California is set to receive supplies of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which is still under review by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (Courtesy photo)
California could receive 380K doses of new J&J COVID vaccine next week

California could receive 380,300 doses of the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine… Continue reading

Disability advocates protested outside the home of San Francisco Health Officer Tomas Aragon. (Courtesy Brooke Anderson)
Vaccine rollout plan for people with disabilities remains deeply flawed

On February 13, disability activists paid a visit to the house of… Continue reading

Most Read