Murder charges upheld for man accused of killing sons

A man accused of killing his two young sons in 2004 failed to have murder charges against him dismissed Tuesday, as a judge ruled that a delay in the indictment did not deprive him of his right to a fair trial.

Charles Schuttloffel’s defense attorney Dek Ketchum had argued that critical defense evidence — including the house in which Schuttloffel’s children burned to death — was destroyed during the 34 months it took prosecutors to file charges.

San Mateo County Superior Court Judge Barbara Mallach denied the motion to dismiss charges after hearing several days of evidence and testimony from investigators and Schuttloffel’s wife, Lana.

“The loss of evidence was not due to the delay of the prosecution,” Mallach said.

Ketchum said he hasn’t decided whether to appeal the ruling, and Schuttloffel’s trial remains set for April 28.

Schuttloffel, a 37-year-old commercial fisherman, was indicted by a grand jury in March 2007 on one count of arson and two counts of murder in connection with a

May 4, 2004, fire that killed his sons Charlie, 3, and Billy, 2. He faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Police at the time said that Schuttloffel had to be restrained as he tried to run back into the burning house to save his children. Prosecutors now believe he was high on methamphetamine and angry about his wife’s threats of divorce when he torched the home.

Lana Schuttloffel razed the house in 2006. Ketchum said she obtained a permit to destroy the building only after being told by San Mateo County District Attorney James Fox that her husband was no longer a suspect in the case.

Mallach ruled that the district attorney was under no obligation to advise Lana Schuttloffel that her husband could still face charges in the case.

tbarak@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Skier Andy Padlo crosses a frozen Spicer Reservoir. (Courtesy photo)
Stormy weather tests skiers’ mettle on Dardanelle traverse

Overcoming challenges makes outings more rewarding

Most Read