Millbrae to revisit archway issue this fall

Residents will be asked to weigh in this fall on a proposed archway over Hillcrest Avenue at El Camino Real, more than 10 years after it was first proposed to attract shoppers to the city’s shopping district.

Chamber of Commerce President John Ford said he hopes to particularly encourage shopping in the northern area of Broadway around Park Boulevard, which can get overlooked by passers-by on El Camino Real.

“We want to pull as many people onto Broadway as we can,” Ford said.

The project was estimated to cost about $100,000 in 1995.

Though the figure has likely jumped significantly since then, Community Development Director Ralph Petty said the city wanted to hold off on doing a new cost estimate until they heard some input from the City Council and residents on preferred design and materials.

Officials last discussed the archway in May, after the Chamber of Commerce asked the committee to revisit the item now that many new developments are underway in the downtown area.

City Manager Ralph Jaeck said the first set of plans and renderings for the Art Deco-style arch emblazoned with “Millbrae” across the top were completed when the city was discussing general improvements to downtown.

The project is out of date anyway, as officials expected, because the state has added new requirements to its building code since the initial design, Petty said.

Petty expects to bring the issue to the council in October.

The city’s Downtown Process Committee was scheduled to discuss the issue at a Wednesday morning meeting, but the group did not have a quorum, Ford said.

tramroop@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsLocalPeninsula

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Planning Commission greenlights 1,100 unit Balboa Reservoir project

Development near CCSF expected to include 50 percent below-market rate units

Breed announces timeline for when SF’s businesses can reopen after COVID-19 shutdown

Restaurant advocacy group wants The City to allow indoor dining sooner

Trump signs order targeting social media companies

By Chris Megerian Los Angeles Times President Donald Trump signed an executive… Continue reading

CCSF puts Fort Mason campus on the chopping block

Faced with severe budget cuts, community college preparing to end decades-long lease

Neighbors sue city over safe camping site planned for Stanyan Street

A group of Haight residents filed a lawsuit Tuesday asking a federal… Continue reading

Most Read