Mia Sagote convicted of burning woman to death in San Francisco

Getty Images file photo | Clip artMia Sagote was convicted Tuesday of burning to death a 49-year-old homeless woman.

Getty Images file photo | Clip artMia Sagote was convicted Tuesday of burning to death a 49-year-old homeless woman.

Mia Sagote, 36, was convicted Tuesday of burning to death a 49-year-old homeless woman at Candlestick Park more than six years ago.

A jury took just four hours to find Sagote guilty on all counts for the savage murder of Jill May on Jan. 12, 2007.

The day before May was burned alive, prosecutors said, she was stripped naked and robbed by Sagote and accomplice Leslie Siliga for owing them money. Police later found May and filed a robbery report.

<p>Sagote reportedly found out that police had been notified of the incident, and so the next morning she picked up Siliga in Daly City and headed for the Tenderloin, which May was known to frequent. They picked up May and drove to Candlestick Park, stopping to buy a canister of gas. At the stadium, Sagote drenched May in gasoline before setting her on fire.

During the trial's closing arguments, prosecutor Michael Swart said Sagote killed May in order to protect her drug-dealing and loan-sharking operation from snitches.

Siliga, 27, is currently serving a sentence of more than 14 years in prison after striking a deal with prosecutors over her role in the murder.

“To burn a human alive is a violation of every principal in our modern society,” said District Attorney George Gascón.

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsJill MayMia SagoteSan Francisco Crime

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Passengers ride the 14-Mission Muni bus on Friday, March 12, 2021. (Jordi Molina/Special to S.F. Examiner)
Transit officials fear Free Muni pilot could hurt already-strained service levels

Supporters say fare cuts could increase ridership, help low-income residents

The vacant property at 730 Stanyan St. in the Haight currently houses a safe sleeping site for the homeless. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Affordable housing project on former McDonald’s site delayed as city adds units

The start of construction on an affordable housing project on the site… Continue reading

Visitors read a notice hanging on the Polk Street entrance to City Hall on Thursday, March 26, 2020, shortly after the building was closed. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Hall reopening to the public on June 7 after long closure due to COVID-19

San Francisco will reopen City Hall to the public on June 7… Continue reading

Historic streetcars are undergoing testing on The Embarcadero to prepare for their return to service on May 15.<ins></ins>
What to expect for Muni Metro’s relaunch on May 15

Significant service restoration includes downtown subway tunnels and historic streetcars

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo (10) and running back Raheem Mostert (31) celebrate after Mostert scores his fourth rushing touchdown in the third quarter as the 49ers take on the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship game at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. on Sunday, Jan. 19, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
49ers on prime-time TV five times in 2021

Usually a team that finishes in last place and won only six… Continue reading

Most Read