Mayor Ed Lee backs Tasers for police in wake of Mario Woods killing

San Francisco police officials have been pushing for officers to be equipped with Tasers, arguing that the devices would have prevented recent officer-involved shootings. (File photo)

San Francisco’s mayor has voiced his support for equipping all of The City’s police with Tasers, as part of an effort to reform the use of excessive force by officers, in the wake of the killing of Mario Woods earlier this month.

Ed Lee said this morning he supports giving police the stun-guns, which deliver an electrical shock, as one of the tools they can use to reduce the number of fatal shootings incidents.

Christine Falvey, a spokesperson for the mayor, would not give the San Francisco Examiner comment other than verifying that Lee supports giving Tasers to police. Lee announced his position on an early morning radio show Wednesday, said Falvey.

She would not give details about the mayor’s support for Tasers in terms of who in the force should be given the devices and how they should be used.

Officer Albie Esparza said the department plans to set up a Taser pilot program. This week the mayor asked the chief to draft a pilot program, said Esparza who had not other details.

Last week Lee said in the press conference the police department had to begin changing its use of force policies, but did not say whether he would back giving them Tasers.

Meanwhile, police and police union leaders have said officers should be equipped with Tasers, despite vocal opposition on the police commission at a meeting last week about the killing of Woods.

Opponents have argued the weapons — which deliver a powerful electrical shock that renders a person temporarily incapacitated and have been implicated as contributing to deaths — are dangerous, unregulated and could be used excessively by officers.

The renewed call for Tasers arose out of the Dec. 2 killing of Woods. Police approached Woods that day because he fit the description of a stabbing suspect.

Woods, 26, was eventually surrounded by more than five officers who used pepper spray and bean bags to subdue him. None of these less-lethal tools worked and when Woods tried to walk away five offices opened fired. The whole scene was captured by numerous bystanders who taped the killing on their cell phones.

Police have said Woods was threatening one of the officers, but video appears to show no such threat was present when he was shot.

Untitled-1

Read more criminal justice news on the Crime Ink page in print. Follow us on Twitter: @sfcrimeinkCrimeMario WoodsNAACPPolice brutalitySan Francisco Mayor Ed LeeSFPDSFPOA

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

The City is seeking to enhance health care for San Francisco International Airport workers, which include more than 100 who have tested positive for COVID-19. <ins>(Courtesy photo)</ins>
Airlines, business groups fight new health insurance requirements for SFO workers

Heathy Airport Ordinance would require companies to offer family coverage or increase contributions

The Hall of Justice building at 850 Bryant St. is notorious for sewage leaks and is known to be seismically unsafe. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFPD speeding up Hall of Justice exit after another ‘large leak’

San Francisco police can’t get out of the decrepit Hall of Justice… Continue reading

The Telegraph Quartet is pictured during its SF Music Day 2020 recording session at the striking, beautifully lit and almost empty Herbst Theatre. (Courtesy Marcus Phillips)
SF Music Day goes virtual with Herbst broadcast

Performers pre-record sets in empty, iconic theater

Dr. Vincent Matthews, superintendent of the San Francisco Unified School District, said Tuesday that student would not be back in school before the end of this calendar year. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Superintendent: City schools will not reopen before the end of the year

San Francisco public schools won’t reopen to students for the rest of… Continue reading

The admissions process at the academically competitive Lowell High School is set to change this year due to coronavirus restritions. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Lowell’s selective admissions process put on hold this year — and more changes may be in the works

School board votes unanimously to use normal student assignment lottery for competitive school

Most Read