Smoke rises after an equipment fire broke out at the PG&E substation at Larkin and Eddy streets in San Francisco, Calif. Friday, April 21, 2017, causing city-wide power outages. (Jonah Owen Lamb/S.F. Examiner)

Mayor calls for review of PG&E substations after major power outage Friday

A power outage that impacted nearly 90,000 PG&E customers throughout San Francisco on Friday was caused by an equipment failure at an electrical substation in the Tenderloin, said Mayor Ed Lee at a news conference five hours after the outage was first reported.

In all, 88,000 customers lost power and PG&E had fully restored power by 5 p.m.

SEE RELATED: Major power outage reported across SF

SEE RELATED: Massive power outage impacts SF schools during state testing

Meanwhile, an FBI spokesperson told the San Francisco Examiner that while they had been monitoring the outage along with a series of others across the country Friday, no criminal cause was suspected and they’re not believed to be related.

Lee is expected to formally call for the company to review all of its San Francisco substations next week, even though the substation in question at Larkin and Eddy streets is scheduled to have a $100 million upgrade later this year.

The fire department received a call from a resident who heard a bang and saw smoke coming from the Tenderloin substation around 9:15 a.m., said Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White. Crews arrived soon after and were able to extinguish the fire with chemical agents, but insulation around a failed circuit breaker remained smoking into the afternoon.

The fire was caused because of a circuit breaker failure, said Barry Anderson, Vice President of Electric Distribution for PG&E.

No reported injuries were caused by the outage, but 20 elevators were stuck with people inside of them and traffic was snarled across much of The City.

Ed Reiskin, director of the Municipal Transportation Agency, said nearly a third of the 1,200 traffic lights in San Francisco went out and 300 traffic control officers along with police traffic units had to be called out to direct traffic.

“Our major issue was traffic,” said Police Chief William Scott, who added that anyone stuck in traffic Friday afternoon should instead take advantage of the weather and go to a park, or grab a bite at a local restaurant.

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at

Just Posted

SF police shoot burglary suspect in Mission District

Man allegedly attacked officers before being shot in first on-duty SFPD shooting since June 2018

Not even heavy rain can stop the 25th annual SantaCon

Jolly, drunken fun event for Santas is the ‘least wonderful time of the year’ for many locals

Ronen says $100M service expansion is ‘going to fix’ SF’s mental health crisis

Compromise mental health plan has backing of mayor, full Board of Supervisors

Civil liberties lawyer files to take on Pelosi

A San Francisco-based civil liberties lawyer, progressive advocate, DJ and poet is… Continue reading

Supes sound off against bill increasing housing density near transit hubs

Senator Wiener calls resolution opposing SB 50 ‘little more than symbolic political theater’

Most Read