Mavericks contest will not be held Tuesday

The world-renowned annual Mavericks Surf Contest near Half Moon Bay will not be held Tuesday as previously speculated, a spokeswoman said Sunday morning.

A swell forming on the Pacific Ocean was expected to bring potential contest-worthy waves this week, but officials have now
determined the conditions wouldn't be ideal Tuesday, contest co-director Katherine Clark said.

“There's too much weather coming in; the wrong wind and rain,” she said.

The 24 surfers from around the world chosen to compete in this year's contest were expected to vote Sunday on whether to hold the event
Tuesday, but the vote has been called off.

“We're all just standing by,” Clark said. “That's the way it rolls.”

It's the first time the date for the contest will be decided by the whole group instead of one contest director, she said.

Last year the contest window opened Jan. 1 and closed March 31, but the contest was never held because the ideal conditions didn't
materialize. This year, the contest window opened two months earlier, on Nov. 1.

Just Posted

Central Subway project projected to run $55 million over budget

San Francisco’s $1.6 billion Central Subway is roughly $55 million in the… Continue reading

HUD secretary calls for increased deregulation after tour of Potrero Hill public housing

Carson calls for greater ‘cooperation’ between local, federal officials but offers no additional funds

Suspect in high-profile waterfront attack ordered to stand trial

Judge adds charge against Austin James Vincent for alleged criminal threats

SF increases public funding to help those running for mayor, supervisor

Those running for the Board of Supervisors or mayor will have access… Continue reading

SF supervisors call on health department to ‘pause’ planned relocation of mental health patients

Tensions high as protest by over closure of long-term beds shuts down Health Commission meeting

Most Read