Marina Shores developer returns with new concept

The developers of the Marina Shores project, one of the most controversial proposals in city history and the subject of a successful ballot initiative opposing it, are preparing to try again with a scaled-down plan.

The last time Glenborough-Pauls' Paul Powers proposed a housing development on the 33-acre Bayfront parcel near Pete's Harbor, residents voted down his plan to build 240-foot-tall residential buildings in a referendum in November 2004. This time, he's seeking community input by showing the new concept to businesses and residents' groups long before the city launches its planning process.

While the first version of Marina Shores included 1,930 condominiums in buildings 180 to 240 feet tall, plus 50,000 square feet of retail and 150,000 square feet of offices, the new design scales that back to 75- and 120-foot-tall buildings with 796 condos and townhomes, 10,000 square feet of retail and no office space. Powers is also proposing a 200-room hotel, plus an undetermined amount of open space.

“This [proposal] will evolve through the city process,” Powers said. “We don't want anyone to have the impression that this is an accomplished fact.”

Many who opposed the original Marina Shores plan did so because of the size of the project, but also because they felt they were not included in the city planning process until it was too late to make changes.

Powers met last week with the Friends of Redwood City, the group that evolved from residents' political fight against Marina Shores.

“There are signs that the city is going about it in a different way [this time],” said Cathy Moyer, one of FORWC's leaders.

The city's public hearing process on the new proposal will kick off July 11, according to planner Jill Ekas.

bwinegarner@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsdevelopmentLocalPlanning

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Mayor London Breed said Tuesday that with other counties moving ahead with expanding vaccine eligibility “we want San Franciscans to have the same opportunity.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Everyone in SF ages 16 and up is now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine

San Francisco expanded eligibility for the COVID-19 vaccine Tuesday to everyone ages… Continue reading

San Francisco Park Rangers have seen their budget and staffing levels increase significantly since 2014. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Citations for being in SF’s public parks after midnight soar

Data shows disproportionate impact on Black residents

Parents and students line up socially distanced before the first day of in-person learning at Bret Harte Elementary School on Monday, April 12, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
‘It’s a beautiful sight’: The first students return to the classroom

San Francisco’s youngest public school students stepped into classrooms for in-person learning… Continue reading

File
Latest Breed nominee for Police Commission moves forward

Immigration attorney Jim Byrne clears Board of Supervisors committee

A rally at Golden Gate Park on Sunday April 11 drew a large crowd in support of calls to keep JFK Drive closed to traffic. (Emily Huston/Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Hundreds rally for “JFK Thrive,” not JFK Drive

By Emily Huston More than two hundred gathered on a warm Sunday… Continue reading

Most Read