Marin leaders set to reject toll on Doyle

Marin County officials are poised today to send a strong message against a planned toll along Doyle Drive, part of a proposal to raise money to rebuild the seismically unsafe San Francisco-side approach to the Golden Gate Bridge.

The plan to add a toll on the southern approach to the iconic span — that would be in addition to that already required to cross the bridge — has provoked the ire of those in the North Bay, who are the majority of bridge users during peak times.

The proposal calls for a $2 toll for users of Doyle Drive and comes as the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District Board is considering an increase to the bridge’s toll from $5 to $6.

The Transportation Authority of Marin, a regional board representing the county, is scheduled to vote today on a resolution opposing any toll on Doyle Drive. The vote follows a recent decision by the Golden Gate Bridge board, made up of San Francisco and North Bay members, to postpone taking a position on the matter, after Marin board member Al Boro, who also sits on the TAM, argue that since it’s a state road, the state should pay for it.

Time is running out since key funding for the Doyle Drive rebuild is part of a $159 million federal grant that is contingent upon San Francisco obtaining the legal authority from the state legislature by March 31 to collect tolls on Doyle Drive.

San Francisco District 1 Supervisor Jake McGoldrick, who sits on the board, said the toll is the only way to raise needed money to fully fund the $1 billion road project.

McGoldrick said the odds that the county transportation authority would get the needed state approval in time are about “50-50,” but said that efforts are currently underway to try and postpone the deadline. Work is also being done to secure additional funding, he said, that could decrease the proposed Doyle Drive toll to $1.

jsabatini@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsGovernment & PoliticsLocalPolitics

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Skier Andy Padlo crosses a frozen Spicer Reservoir. (Courtesy photo)
Stormy weather tests skiers’ mettle on Dardanelle traverse

Overcoming challenges makes outings more rewarding

Most Read