Man who planned 2009 attack on San Mateo high school heading to prison

Alexander Youshock. (S.F. Examiner file photo)

Alexander Youshock. (S.F. Examiner file photo)

A man convicted of planning an attack on his San Mateo high school with pipe bombs, a chainsaw and a samurai sword when he was 17 was ruled restored to sanity on Monday and will begin serving a 24-year prison sentence, prosecutors said.

Alexander Youshock, 23, has been in Napa State Hospital for the last four years. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia by several court-appointed doctors after his attempted attack on Hillsdale High School was thwarted before anyone was injured, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office.

The morning of Aug. 24, 2009, Youshock went to school with a chainsaw, a 10-inch samurai sword and 10 homemade pipe bombs. He planned to kill his former teachers and as many students as he could.

He set off two pipe bombs in the hallway, but his chainsaw wouldn’t start and a teacher tackled him before he injured anyone, prosecutors said.

Youshock pleaded no contest in 2011 to attempted murder and other felony charges and was sentenced to 24 years in prison to be completed after he was restored to sanity.

He was also ordered to pay $122,161 in restitution to the San Mateo Union High School District, including for repairs to the school from pipe bomb damage and teachers’ salaries for the two days the school was closed after the attack.

On Monday, Judge John Grandsaert ruled that Youshock had been restored to sanity and ordered him to begin serving his prison sentence. He received no credit for the time spent in the hospital and will not be eligible for release for about 19 years, prosecutors said.Alexander YoushockCrimehillsdale high schoolPeninsulaSan Mateo

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Basketball (Shutterstock)
SI alum Begovich gets his moment, but Stanford falls on Senior Day

MAPLES PAVILION — Generally speaking, Stanford’s home finale on Saturday afternoon, a… Continue reading

U.S. Attorney David Anderson announces federal firearms charges against two men for their roles in a March 2019 shooting outside the Fillmore Heritage Center in a news conference alongside SFPD staff at the Phillip Burton Federal Building on Thursday, Jan. 9, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Departing U.S. attorney predicts corruption probe will continue

David Anderson shook up City Hall as top federal prosecutor

Board of Supervisors President Shamann Walton, a former school board member, has been asked to help secure an agreement between the school district and teacher’s union. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
 <ins></ins>
Supervisor Walton tapped to mediate teacher contract talks

District and union at odds over hours in-person students should be in the classroom

California is set to receive supplies of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which is still under review by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (Courtesy photo)
California could receive 380K doses of new J&J COVID vaccine next week

California could receive 380,300 doses of the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine… Continue reading

Disability advocates protested outside the home of San Francisco Health Officer Tomas Aragon. (Courtesy Brooke Anderson)
Vaccine rollout plan for people with disabilities remains deeply flawed

On February 13, disability activists paid a visit to the house of… Continue reading

Most Read