Man rescued after being stranded for five days on island

The U.S. Coast Guard rescued a man Monday morning who had been stranded on an island near the mouth of the San Joaquin and Sacramento river deltas for five days, the Coast Guard said.  

The man, 54, started his inflatable raft in the Sacramento River on Wednesday and drifted downriver until his raft began to sink near Roe Island, the Coast Guard said.

He was able to communicate with his family via cell phone, but didn't know which island he was on.

The family contacted the Coast Guard at 9:19 a.m. Monday and provided information that helped the agency determine where the man was, the Coast Guard said.

The man told his family he could see naval vessels and hear reveille, the military bugle call, every morning, which led the Coast Guard to conclude he was north of the Concord Naval Weapons Station. 

The Coast Guard also worked with the man's cell phone provider to triangulate his location. 

A 25-foot boat was launched from Station Vallejo, and crews were able to find the man as he waved a red flag, the Coast Guard said.

He was taken to a pier in the Martinez Marina, where waiting emergency technicians determined the man was in stable condition.

The Coast Guard recommends boaters file a float plan before leaving — even if it's just with family members or friends — and carry lifejackets, a VHF-FM radio, flares, and survival gear.

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

School board members Gabriela Lopez (left) and Alison Collins (right) say they have been the subject of frequent hateful, racist and sexist attacks during their time on the school board. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F Examiner)
Angered by Lowell decision, SFUSD grad targets school board members with violent imagery

Facebook page depicts two women of color on board with swastikas and x-marks on their faces

Supervisor Sandra Lee Fewer, a former school board member, said it was ‘ridiculous’ that the school district did not yet have a plan to reopen. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Supervisors demand SFUSD set a timeline for reopening

Pressure grows on district to resume in-person learning as The City’s COVID-19 case count goes down

“Tenet,” the new Christopher Nolan film starring John David Washington, is showing at the drive-in in Concord. (Courtesy Warner Bros.)
Drive-ins are popping up all over the Bay Area

There are pandemic-era options for movie lovers who want to watch outdoors

The San Francisco International Arts Festival will present performances this weekend outdoors at Fort Mason, including on the Parade Ground, Eucalyptus Grove and Black Point Battery. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SF International Arts Festival wins health department approval for weekend performances

Rules allow no more than 50 people at outdoor Fort Mason performances

In this handout image provided by the California Department of Corrections, convicted murderer Scott Peterson poses for a mug shot March 17, 2005 in San Quentin, California. Judge Alfred A. Delucchi sentenced Peterson to death March 16 for murdering his wife, Laci Peterson, and their unborn child. (California Department of Corrections via Getty Images/TNS)
Prosecutors to retry penalty phase of Scott Peterson trial

2003 discovery of Laci Peterson’s body led to sensational high-profile murder trial of husband

Most Read