A man allegedly distributed flyers at a Mission District homeless encampment Friday threatening to beat and burn those living there if they did not leave by that night.
At least five of these flyers were distributed early Friday afternoon near Duboce Avenue and Valencia Street near a skate park, according to Kelley Cutler, human rights organizer for the Coalition on Homelessness.
“WE are SICK of watching you leave needles in our park, shitting in our park and STEALING AND THIEVING from children and innocent people in the Park,” the flyers read.
The flyers continue, “IF YOU ARE STILL HERE AFTER DARK TONIGHT, the hunters will become the hunted. We will pound you, burn you, beat you and fuck you up if you are within a 100 yards of this park starting after sun down tonight.”
“TAKE YOUR SHIT AND GET THE FUCK OUT,” the flyers conclude, “OR WE WILL GLADLY BEAT YOU SILLY AND ENJOY THE PAYBACK,” and were signed, “THE NEIGHBORS.”
The encampment by the SoMa West Skatepark, which lies along the border between the Mission and South of Market Districts, is home to a handful of people, according to Cutler. One man living in a tent there noticed another man distributing the threatening signs, and when he woke up and confronted him, the man living in the tent was pepper sprayed.
“You could still see the pepper spray on his arms” when she arrived at the man’s tent, Cutler said.
Cutler said the Coalition on Homelessness contacted the San Francisco Police Department concerning the threats. SFPD did not immediately respond to press inquiries.
There’s hope of identifying the man, however, Cutler said.
“We were able to get a license plate number,” she said, and some living in the encampment said he drove a black SUV. “Apparently this isn’t the first time he’s hassled folks.”
Homeless encampments have been set on fire before. In September last year, San Francisco Public Works dismantled a homeless encampment made of wooden shelters called “Box City” after an unknown person lit one shelter on fire.
The wooden shelter contained a canister of propane, for cooking, and exploded. The owner of the shelter was working a construction job, and no one was reported injured.