Man hit by Caltrain in S.F. dies

A man was struck and killed Thursday after he reportedly stepped in front of a train near the intersection of 16th and Mississippi streets, bringing the total number of deaths on the tracks to nine this year, officials said.

The apparent suicide comes just two weeks after Caltrain launched a railroad safety blitz in an attempt to address the growing number of deaths, which are on pace to meet or exceed a high of 20 set in 1995.

While the majority of deaths on Caltrain tracks this year have occurred on the Peninsula, the two most recent, including a May 27 incident, occurred in San Francisco. Half of the deaths have been ruled suicides, officials said. The identity of Thursday’s victim, who was hit by a southbound train, wasunknown at press time.

“We’re trying to raise pubic awareness about suicide because no matter how many fences we put up, it won’t stop people if they are determined to get on the tracks,” Caltrain spokesman Jonah Weinberg said regarding Caltrains’ outreach program “Don't shortcut life.”

Both tracks at the site in either direction were initially closed when the accident occurred starting around 3:15 p.m., officials said.

After a 55-minute delay, both tracks were reopened. And by about 5 p.m., commuters still faced a 10 to 20 minute delay. Northbound trains were back on schedule, Weinberg said.

Weinberg said outreach to schools as part of the “Don't shortcut life” program began before the school year ended and was extended to 150 principals of schools along the tracks, many of whom have already spoken with Caltrain about coming to their schools in the fall, Weinberg said.

ecarpenter@examiner.comBay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

The Rev. Norman Fong of the Chinatown Community Development Center joined San Francisco city leaders and community partners in a “Campaign for Solidarity” at Civic Center Plaza on Saturday, Apr 17, 2021. (CraigLee/Special to the S.F. Examiner)
City launches ‘Campaign for Solidarity’ to combat racial violence

Mayor London Breed, the city’s Human Rights Commission and community leaders launched… Continue reading

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Most Read