Man faces hate crime charges

A Redwood City man has pleaded not guilty to multiple hate crime charges after authorities say he attacked his gay neighbors without provocation as the victims worked on their car recently.

Herbert Santos-Coy, 30, remained behind bars Wednesday on one count of felony assault for hate crime purposes, two counts of felony commission of a hate crime and one misdemeanor count of resisting arrest. If convicted, he faces up to eight years in state prison.

“There’s nothing the victims did that would have provoked this. It’s an outrage,” Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

Santos-Coy and his wife lived next door to the couple on Buckeye Street. On Sunday, the victims were working on their car when Santos-Coy approached them and began hurling anti-gay epithets, Wagstaffe said.

Santos-Coy then allegedly struck one man in the face repeatedly before picking up a wrought iron table and swinging it at the couple. Santos-Coy had been drinking but prosecutors do not believe he was drunk at the time of the incident, Wagstaffe said.

“He went wild in the carport. He was knocking things over before the police got there,” Wagstaffe said.

When Redwood City police responded, Santos-Coy allegedly scuffled with officers before being subdued.

The victims, both in their mid-20s, said they knew Santos-Coy and there was no history of problems between the neighbors.

According to the most recent FBI statistics, hate crimes based on sexual orientation rose 18 percent from 2005 to 2006 nationwide.

Of San Mateo County’s 23 hate crimes reported to the FBI in 2006, three were based on sexual orientation. Local prosecutors have also noticed an increase in anti-gay crimes over the past several years, Wagstaffe said.

tbarak@examiner.com

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

File photo
SFPD releases videos of deadly police shooting

Cesar Vargas killed after reports of carjacking with knife

The City requires the recycling or reuse of debris material removed from a construction project site. <ins>(Emma Chiang/Special to S.F. Examiner)</ins>
<ins></ins>
Permits proposed for haulers of construction debris to achieve zero-waste

San Francisco plans to tighten regulations on the disposal of construction and… Continue reading

(Justin Sullivan/Getty Images/TNS)
Newsom says California will review FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccines before releasing to public

By Taryn Luna Los Angeles Times California will review the safety of… Continue reading

Rachael Tanner, left, testifies virtually before the Board of Supervisors Rules Committee Monday, October 19, 2020. (SFGOV courtesy art)
Rachael Tanner set to become SF’s next Planning Commissioner

Rachael Tanner is expected to serve as the newest member of the… Continue reading

People exercise along the closed Great Highway on Friday, Oct. 2, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Could the Great Highway become a great city park?

Permanent closure would require extensive public outreach, safety and traffic management plans

Most Read