Man accuses police of excessive force

A federal judge this month denied the city’s motion to dismiss a case against two of its police officers, who are accused of using excessive force when they entered a hit-and-run suspect’s home and pointed their guns at him in 2003.

Bruce Hopkins, 47, claims that former San Carlos police Officers Armand Bonvicino and David Buelow went too far when they aimed their weapons at him before arresting him at home on Aug. 22, 2003. They came to his house after he left the scene of a minor traffic accident and the victim, Waheeda Talib, notified police.

The San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office dropped hit-and-run charges against Hopkins in November 2004, according to Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe. Hopkins filed suit in July 2005, accusing the officers of wrongdoing for entering his home and drawing their guns.

“Cases like this are very important, even though they’re not a shooting and they’re not particularly sexy,” said Anthony Boskovich, the attorney representing Hopkins. “All it would take is … a report from someone who doesn’t like you, and that puts the keys to your house into police hands.”

San Carlos officials maintain that Bonvicino and Buelow were acting appropriately when they entered Hopkins’ basement apartment and drew their weapons.

“Here’s someone who left the scene of a hit-and-run and had been drinking,” San Carlos City Attorney Robert Lanzone said.

Mayor Tom Davids said he has not seen any complaints against San Carlos police in his 11 years on the City Council.

“Our officers are well-trained; they know what they’re doing,” Davids said.

Hopkins drank three beers at the American Legion on the afternoon of Aug. 22, 2003, before driving home, according to court documents. He was in a minor collision with Talib, went home, and drank five more beers before the officers arrived within 11 minutes of Talib’s call. His blood alcohol measured 0.20, more than double the legal limit. </p>

Hopkins was convicted of a misdemeanor DUI in 1991, his third such conviction, according to Wagstaffe. A felony DUI charge against him in 1991 was dropped.

Hopkins is seeking up to $8 million in damages to compensate for medical, legal and psychiatric fees associated with the incident, as well as lost wages. Hopkins was laid off from his job as a school bus driver after the 2003 arrest and suffers from severe post-traumatic stress disorder, Boskovich said.

Hopkins’s claim is scheduled for a federal court hearing April 30, although Lanzone said the city would likely appeal Judge Jeffrey S. White’s refusal to dismiss the case.

bwinegarner@exainer.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Advocates with the San Francisco Public Bank Coalition hold a rally outside City Hall before the Board of Supervisors were to vote on a resolution supporting the creation of a public banking charter on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Should San Francisco run its own public bank? The debate returns

Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, momentum was building for San Francisco to… Continue reading

Apprenticeship instructor Mike Miller, center, demonstrates how to set up a theodolite, a hyper-sensitive angle measuring device, for apprentices Daniel Rivas, left, Ivan Aguilar, right, and Quetzalcoatl Orta, far right, at the Ironworkers Local Union 377 training center in Benicia on June 10, 2021. (Courtesy Anne Wernikoff/CalMatters)
California’s affordable housing crisis: Are labor union requirements in the way?

By Manuela Tobias CalMatters California lawmakers introduced several bills this year that… Continue reading

Mayor London Breed spoke at the reopening of the San Francisco Public Library main branch on April 20. (Sebastian Miño-Bucheli/Special to The Examiner)
SF reopening more libraries through the summer

After a handful of San Francisco public libraries reopened last month for… Continue reading

A new production of Beethoven’s “Fidelio” directed by Matthew Ozawa and designed by Alexander V. Nichols will be onstage at the War Memorial Opera House in October. (Courtesy Alexander V. Nichols)
SF Opera announces transitional 99th season

Company returns to Opera House with downsized schedule, no fall ball

Most Read