Courtesy of San Mateo County Sheriff's OfficeFebronio Alexander Mendoza

Courtesy of San Mateo County Sheriff's OfficeFebronio Alexander Mendoza

Man accused of robbing Redwood City 7-Eleven, Subway pleads not guilty

An 18-year-old Redwood City man accused of robbing two businesses and attempting to rob a third earlier this year was in court Wednesday and pleaded not guilty to the charges, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

Febronio Alexander Mendoza faces numerous felony charges including two counts of robbery, use of a firearm while committing a felony, attempted robbery, possession of stolen property and possession of a controlled substance, Wagstaffe said.

The alleged robberies occurred Feb. 19 between 3:09 a.m. and 10:42 a.m.

The defendant is alleged to have robbed a 7-Eleven in the 1700 block of Broadway in Redwood City at gunpoint for a total of $120, Wagstaffe said. Later that morning, Mendoza allegedly unsuccessfully tried to rob a Subway in the 1900 block of El Camino Real. About 10 minutes later, he is alleged to have successfully robbed the Subway in the 700 block of Woodside Road for an unknown amount of cash.

Mendoza reportedly wore a skull mask in the second two robberies, Wagstaffe said, but one witness reportedly saw him take it off as he fled the scene.

Redwood City police had stopped Mendoza in his car the previous day for a traffic stop, Wagstaffe said, and his car was identified at the scene of the robberies.

About 1:39 p.m. on the day of the robberies, Mendoza reportedly went to the Redwood City police station to report an unrelated hit-and-run, Wagstaffe said.

The officer he reported the hit-and-run to was the same officer investigating the robberies, and according to authorities, their conversation began with the hit-and-run and ended with admissions to all three robberies.

A search warrant was obtained to search Mendoza’s home and police found 30 pills, originally thought to be Ecstasy but were not, $300, a loaded .44 handgun and two rifles that were reported stolen, Wagstaffe said.

Mendoza pleaded not guilty to the charges on Wednesday and his jury trial is set to begin March 9, 2015. He is currently out of custody on $300,000 bail.Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsFebronio Alexander MendozaSan Mateo County District Attorney's OfficeSteve Wagstaffe

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Smoking cannabis (Shutterstock)
Supes ban tobacco smoking in apartments but exempt cannabis

San Francisco banned smoking and vaping of tobacco in apartments Tuesday night,… Continue reading

Dr. Grant Colfax and Mayor London Breed said new restrictions could come this week due to rising COVID-19 cases.<ins> (Examiner screenshot)</ins>
Breed: ‘More restrictive action’ needed to slow spread of COVID-19

San Francisco officials said Tuesday tougher restrictions will soon be imposed to… Continue reading

Many landlords fought the proposal requiring them to register properties, calling it an invasion of privacy. 
Kevin N. Hume/
S.F. Examiner
Housing inventory wins unanimous approval from supervisors

Legislation will require landlords to register properties, report vacancies and rents

Harlan Kelly, head of the SFPUC and husband to City Administrator Naomi Kelly (right), faces federal charges for allegedly trading inside information on a city contract in return for a paid family vacation. (Courtesy photo)
Harlan Kelly, head of SFPUC, charged with fraud in widening Nuru scandal

Kelly accused of engaging in corrupt partnership with permit expediter

Jeff Tumlin, director of transportation for the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, said the agency’s fiscal situation is “far worse” than the worse case scenarios projected back in April. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA prepares for massive potential layoffs as budget crisis continues to build

More than 1,200 full-time jobs on the line as agency struggles to close deficit

Most Read