Examiner file photoExaminer file photo

Man accused of bailing on bogus home repairs pleads not guilty

A man accused of stealing money from an elderly woman by posing as a licensed contractor pleaded not guilty in San Mateo County Superior Court Thursday, according to the district attorney's office.

Brian Scott Seefeldt, 47, allegedly responded to a Craigslist ad placed by the 68-year-old victim who sought help with home repairs.

According to the district attorney's office, Seefeldt, a parolee who has been to state prison twice, responded to the ad and completed some work at the victim's home.

Seefeldt allegedly became romantically involved with the woman, whom he told he was a licensed and bonded contractor when he told her that her home's roof needed extensive repairs, according to the district attorney's office.

The victim allegedly paid Seefeldt $6,264 for the roof repairs at the start of the project, but he disappeared several weeks into the project, leaving $2,000 worth of work to be completed and the project's workers unpaid.

Seefeldt was arrested by Daly City police on July 1 on suspicion of embezzlement and fraud against an elderly adult. He had been held on $60,000 bail, which was increased Thursday to $500,000 at the request of prosecutors.

Seefeldt is set to return to court for a pretrial conference,on Feb. 3, 2012, with the trial set for March.
     

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocalPeninsula

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

City Attorney seeks to recoup ‘illegal profits’ gained by Walter Wong through city contracts

San Francisco will seek to recover “illegal profits” gained by well-known permit… Continue reading

UPDATED: Union weighing legal action after Police Commission vote to expand use-of-force policy

Commissioners directed Police Department to bypass meet-and-confer process with SFPOA

Free Muni for Youth program expansion halted by SFMTA budget crisis

Low- and moderate-income kids can still travel for free

Newsom orders multiple counties to shut down bars, indoor restaurants as COVID-19 cases rise

As confirmed cases of COVID-19 rise in California, Gov. Gavin Newsom on… Continue reading

Most Read