Man accused in fatal shooting outside pot club held on $2M bail

One of two men suspected in the shooting death of a 23-year-old man during a robbery outside a San Francisco pot club earlier this month appeared for the first time in court today since his arrest on Tuesday.

Ijeoma Ogbuagu, 20, of San Francisco, was ordered held on $2 million bail, as requested by prosecutors, who have charged him with one count of murder and two counts of robbery in connection with the fatal shooting of Royshawn Holden.

Ogbuagu was arrested Tuesday afternoon in Burlingame, according to police.

He postponed his arraignment and plea entry until Monday while his newly appointed attorney reviews the case.

Holden, also of San Francisco, was shot at about 9:30 p.m. on Sept. 14 outside the Mr. Nice Guy marijuana dispensary at the corner of Valencia Street and Duboce Avenue.

Homicide Inspector Dennis Maffei said Holden had just come out of the dispensary when he was confronted at his car by two men, believed to be Ogbuagu and 24-year-old Julius Hughes, who is still at large. Hughes is considered armed and dangerous.

Officers found Holden lying in the street, suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. He died at San Francisco General Hospital.

Maffei said police are asking Hughes, whose primary residence is in San Francisco but who reportedly has family in other parts of Northern California, to turn himself in.

If anyone knows where Hughes may be, they are asked to call police, Maffei said. They can call the San Francisco police homicide detail at (415) 553-1145 or the confidential tip line at (415) 575-4444.

Police have posted a photograph of Hughes at www.sfgov.org/police.

Bay City News

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & Courts

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Temporary high-occupancy vehicle lanes will be added to sections of state Highway 1 and U.S. Highway 101 through The City including Park Presidio Boulevard to help keep transit flowing as traffic increases. (Photo by Ekevara Kitpowsong/Special to S.F. Examiner)
Transit and high-occupancy vehicle lanes coming to some of The City’s busiest streets

Changes intended to improve transit reliability as traffic increases with reopening

Tents fill up a new safe camping site in a former parking lot at 180 Jones St. in the Tenderloin on Thursday, June 11, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Proposal for major expansion of safe sleeping sites gets cool reception in committee

Supervisor Mandelman calls for creation of more temporary shelter sites to get homeless off streets

Demonstrators commemorated the life of George Floyd and others killed by police outside S.F. City Hall on June 1, 2020.<ins></ins>
Chauvin verdict: SF reacts after jury finds ex-officer guilty on all charges

San Franciscans were relieved Tuesday after jurors found a former Minneapolis police… Continue reading

San Francisco Unified School District Board member Faauuga Moliga, right, pictured with Superintendent Vincent Matthews on the first day back to classrooms, will be board vice president for the remander of the 2121 term. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Faauuga Moliga named as school board vice president to replace Alison Collins

The San Francisco school board on Tuesday selected board member Fauuga Moliga… Continue reading

Legislation by Supervisor Rafael Mandelman would require The City to add enough new safe camping sites, such as this one at 180 Jones St. in the Tenderloin, to accomodate everyone living on the street. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City would create sites for hundreds of tents under new homeless shelter proposal

Advocates say funding better spent on permanent housing

Most Read