Latest housing balance report shows SF still losing affordable homes

The Planning Commission is scheduled to discuss the latest Housing Balance Report on Thursday, April 7, 2016. (Mike Koozmin/S.F. Examiner file photo)

San Francisco has gained or approved for construction more than 10,000 affordable homes in the past decade, but The City has also lost nearly half of that stock in the same time period.

That’s according to the latest Housing Balance Report, which will be presented to the Planning Commission today.

The report, the third in a series stemming from an ordinance approved by the Board of Supervisors last year requiring city planners to monitor housing units amid the recent development boom, covers the 10-year period from Jan. 1, 2006 through Dec. 31, 2015.

The City’s housing balance is at 18 percent, according to the report. That’s a slight increase from the 15 percent as of last September when the second of such reports was released.

The report is intended to determine whether 33 percent of new housing units are below market rate, as urged by a nonbinding proposition passed by voters in 2014.

The housing balance is calculated by taking the number of affordable homes, including those that have recently been approved for construction as well as acquisitions and rehabs in the past decade, and subtracting the number of affordable homes lost in that same amount of time.

That number is then divided by the total number of net new homes within that decade to achieve the housing balance percentage.

The report also breaks down the housing balances for each supervisor district, revealing negative balances in neighborhoods like the Richmond, the Marina, North Beach, Russian Hill, Nob Hill, the Sunset, Lake Merced, and the Excelsior, where more homes were removed from protected status (like rent control) than net new housing.

The largest negative balance during that 10-year period was negative 181.2 percent in District 4 (the Sunset), which saw just 10 new affordable units come online compared to 357 homes removed from protected status.

The report is slated to be heard before the Board of Supervisors April 18.

Just Posted

Recall effort against Fewer panned as ‘PR stunt’

Signature drive inspired by anti-SFPOA chant faces ‘procedural hurdles,’ little support

City stalls request for more parking for 911 dispatchers, citing ‘Transit First’ policy

SFMTA board says city staff should be ‘leading by example,’ discouraged from driving

SF to ward off emerging technology dangers by launching new regulatory office

Board president Norman Yee says innovation must ‘provide a net common good’

Mission school gets control of building after legal battle

Community groups unite to purchase historic property with help of city funds

Name released of man arrested for fatal stabbing on BART train

BART has identified a man arrested in connection with a fatal stabbing… Continue reading

Most Read