Larkin loo gaining seedy reputation after second robbery

Gil Riego Jr./Special to the S.F. ExaminerWallets go in

Gil Riego Jr./Special to the S.F. ExaminerWallets go in

This Tenderloin toilet is flush with seedy crimes.

Twice in about two days, different men were reportedly robbed by a gaggle of thugs while inside the large public restroom at the corner of Larkin and Myrtle streets. The latest incident involved a 47-year-old Memphis, Tenn., man — possibly a tourist — who was lured into the free-of-charge bathroom by a prostitute about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, police said.

The victim was reportedly heavily intoxicated and carrying nearly $2,000 in cash. Once inside the lavatory, police said, four men approached the man demanding cash. The victim put up a fight, but ultimately lost.

A witness who saw the assault fetched police. The officers said they found the victim on the ground, his face bleeding, but the suspects had fled.

The man was taken to San Francisco General Hospital with injuries that are not considered life-threatening, police Officer Carlos Manfredi said.

Previously, a 20-year-old homeless man reported being robbed Monday night in the same bathroom — located on a sidewalk in front of Sergeant John Macaulay Park. The New Century Theater strip club is across the street, and a Motel 6 is just up the block on Geary Street.

When the man robbed Monday night went to use the bathroom, police said, three men were waiting inside and a fourth pushed him in. At knifepoint, they stole a small amount of cash and a cellphone, Manfredi said.

For years, certain public toilets in The City have gained a reputation as bastions for criminal activity. That the Larkin Street toilet doesn’t charge for use poses an additional challenge, Manfredi said.

“You want it out there so people aren’t urinating or defecating on the streets,” he said. “Being free, it’s even worse because it’s even easier for them to go in there and engage in sex and drugs — and now assaulting people.

“It’s a catch-22.”

maldax@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsSan FranciscoTenderloin

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Gov. Gavin Newsom gave an update on COVID-19 cases on Thursday Nov. 3, 2020. (Examiner screenshot)
Newsom announces statewide stay-at-home order tied to availability of hospital beds

Order will take effect in Bay Area when intensive care unit capacity falls below 15 percent

Photo by Abalone Runner/ <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74406455" target="_blank">CC BY-SA 4.0</a>
Former Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard facing domestic violence, child abuse charges

Prominent Bay Area political strategist Nathan Ballard is facing domestic violence and… Continue reading

Construction crews work on new red bus rapid transit lanes on Van Ness Avenue on Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board scrutinizes Van Ness BRT spending

Proposed contract modification would allocate $2.6 million for pedestrian monitors

Mayor London Breed said “I need to hold myself to a higher standard” in response to criticism of a recent meal at a Napa Valley restaurant. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed calls criticism for French Laundry trip ‘fair’

Mayor said she regrets that actions ‘distracted’ from public health message as COVID-19 cases rise

City Administrator Naomi Kelly said Wednesday that the allegations against her husband were “based on the word of a liar.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Administrator Naomi Kelly takes leave after feds charge husband

High-ranking official under scrutiny over 2016 China trip

Most Read