Defendant Justin Howard looks on as Judge Samuel Feng goes over evidence with his defense and prosecutors Wednesday. (Mike Koozmin/S.F. Examiner)

Jury finds man guilty of murder for 2014 drive-by shooting in the Mission

A Richmond resident charged with the murder of a man in a daylight drive-by shooting in the Mission in 2014 was found guilty of first degree murder Monday, according to the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office.

Justin Howard was found guilty by a San Francisco Superior Court jury Monday for the murder of Dominic Anderson on June 13, 2014.

Anderson was shot near 15th and Mission streets about 9:15 p.m. He was found there by police and was taken to the hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.

The Shooting

The details of that day emerged in the several week-long San Francisco trial.

On June 13 around 9:30 a.m., Anderson was dropping his friend off for an appointment at Walden House on 15th Street in the Mission. As she went inside, he waited in a white convertible Chrysler.

About a half hour before, someone drove Howard’s purple Lexus over the Bay Bridge, according to video surveillance. Moments later the car owned by the mother of Howard’s children passed through the toll plaza.

Cell phone towers also picked up the number associated with Howard’s cell phone moving into the The City and then the Mission. Surveillance cameras then recorded some of that purple Lexus’ progress through the Mission.

As Anderson sat in the convertible, the Lexus rolled by. Surveillance footage played in court showed the car back up as the driver fired a .40 caliber automatic pistol multiple times at Anderson, who died from the wounds. The Lexus then sped away and one witness said he saw a bald black man in his 20s driving the car.

Cell towers tracked the car’s progress as it headed into East Oakland. Police later found the car, but it had been torched.

Later that day, Howard called police to report that his car had been stolen. He told a dispatcher he’d parked his car in front of Highland Hospital in Oakland the previous night. He had to stop driving, he said, because of an arm injury. He had to come by the hospital for treatment during the early the morning hours of the same day the shooting happened.

But Howard soon changed his story, saying that he’d lent his car and his cell phone to his cousin, Paris Anderson, who was shot dead in November 2014.

Howard was arrested in a raid in Richmond on July 18.

Untitled-1

Read more criminal justice news on the Crime Ink page in print. Follow us on Twitter: @sfcrimeinkCrimeDrive-byJustin HowardkillingMissionMurderSan Francisco CrimeSFPDShootingtrial

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

The City is seeking to enhance health care for San Francisco International Airport workers, which include more than 100 who have tested positive for COVID-19. <ins>(Courtesy photo)</ins>
Airlines, business groups fight new health insurance requirements for SFO workers

Heathy Airport Ordinance would require companies to offer family coverage or increase contributions

The Hall of Justice building at 850 Bryant St. is notorious for sewage leaks and is known to be seismically unsafe. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFPD speeding up Hall of Justice exit after another ‘large leak’

San Francisco police can’t get out of the decrepit Hall of Justice… Continue reading

The Telegraph Quartet is pictured during its SF Music Day 2020 recording session at the striking, beautifully lit and almost empty Herbst Theatre. (Courtesy Marcus Phillips)
SF Music Day goes virtual with Herbst broadcast

Performers pre-record sets in empty, iconic theater

Dr. Vincent Matthews, superintendent of the San Francisco Unified School District, said Tuesday that student would not be back in school before the end of this calendar year. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Superintendent: City schools will not reopen before the end of the year

San Francisco public schools won’t reopen to students for the rest of… Continue reading

The admissions process at the academically competitive Lowell High School is set to change this year due to coronavirus restritions. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Lowell’s selective admissions process put on hold this year — and more changes may be in the works

School board votes unanimously to use normal student assignment lottery for competitive school

Most Read