Jury finds man guilty in 2002 fatal shooting

Kenneth Watson, a former standout football player at Hillsdale High, was unanimously found guilty by a 12-person jury of first-degree murder Wednesday in the 2002 shooting death of Damon Whitney.

The decision comes almost six years after Watson shot Whitney in Millbrae in retaliation for an earlier drug-money rip-off. Watson now faces life in prison without the possibility of parole, according to Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.

After the court clerk read verdict, Whitney’s family cried out and sobbed, while Watson and his family were stoic.

“I think the man above chose the right direction, and the district attorney followed it,” said Whitney’s father, Dennis Cheney, who said most people knew his son as Damon Cheney. “[Watson] has messed up my life, and left my granddaughter without a daddy.”

The jury also found Watson guilty on the special circumstance that he fired a gun from a moving vehicle.

On June 10, 2002, Whitney pulled into a friend’s driveway on Elder Drive in Millbrae shortly before midnight in anticipation of making a drug deal, Deputy District Attorney Steve Gallagher said. The friend heard several shots ring out.

Moments later, a bloody Whitney appeared at the door, Gallagher said. He walked into the apartment and splashed water on his face before collapsing and dying a short time later.

Watson’s attorney, Jeff Boyarsky, said he was disappointed in the verdict but declined to comment further Wednesday. The case returns to court March 12, when attorneys on both sides will discuss Watson’s prior criminal record and set a sentencing date.

Whitney left behind a wife and a daughter.

bwinegarner@examiner.com

Examiner Staff Writer Tamara Barak Aparton contributed to this report.

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Skier Andy Padlo crosses a frozen Spicer Reservoir. (Courtesy photo)
Stormy weather tests skiers’ mettle on Dardanelle traverse

Overcoming challenges makes outings more rewarding

Most Read