City officials and members of the public gathered at City Hall on Nov. 14, 2016, in a unified act of support for San Francisco’s sanctuary policies. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)

City officials and members of the public gathered at City Hall on Nov. 14, 2016, in a unified act of support for San Francisco’s sanctuary policies. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)

Judge issues permanent injunction against Trump’s sanctuary city order

A federal judge ruled Monday that an executive order issued by President Donald Trump earlier this year that threatened to block funding for Sanctuary Jurisdictions is unconstitutional and issued an injunction to block it permanently.

Trump issued Executive Order 13768 on Jan. 25. The order threatened to deny federal funding to cities and counties deemed to be sanctuary jurisdictions shielding undocumented immigrants from federal deportation.

San Francisco sued to challenge the law on Jan. 31 and Santa Clara County did the same on Feb. 3. The two local governments filed motions asking U.S. District Judge William Orrick of San Francisco to declare Trump’s order unconstitutional and permanently block it from going into effect.

In April, Orrick issued a preliminary injunction temporarily blocking the order from being implemented until a full trial could be held. Monday’s ruling makes the injunction permanent.

“This is a victory of the American people and the rule of law. This Executive Order was unconstitutional before the ink on it was even dry,” San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera said in a statement.

“This is a historic victory, protecting residents of the County and jurisdictions across the nation from President Donald Trump’s unconstitutional abuse of power,” Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors President David Cortese said in a statement. “Our County will continue to welcome and embrace all people, no matter how much this administration tries to threaten or divide us,” Cortese said.

San Francisco had said it receives $1.2 billion per year in federal funds, or 13 percent of its annual budget, plus another $800 million in multi-year grants. Santa Clara County had said in its brief that it receives $1.7 billion, or 35 percent of its budget, in federal or federally dependent funds annually.Politics

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City College union deal staves off layoffs, class cuts

One year agreement allows community college time to improve its finances

A Homeless Outreach Team member speaks with homeless people along Jones Street in the Tenderloin on Wednesday, May 6, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed proposes another street outreach team to divert calls away from police

San Francisco would launch a new street outreach team to respond to… Continue reading

Chelsea Hung, who owns Washington Bakery and Restaurant in Chinatown with her mother, said the restaurant is only making about 30 percent of pre-pandemic revenues. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Chinatown’s slow recovery has business owners fearing for the future

Lack of outside visitors threatens to push neighborhood into ‘downward spiral’

A worker sets up irrigation lines to water almond tree rootstocks along Road 36 in Tulare, Calif. (Gary Coronado/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Gov. Gavin Newsom extends drought emergency to 41 California counties

Faith E. Pinho Los Angeles Times In a stark indication of California’s… Continue reading

Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a new stimulus plan on Monday. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner file photo)
More Californians would get new $600 stimulus checks from the state under Newsom plan

Sophia Bollag The Sacramento Bee Two-thirds of Californians would get an extra… Continue reading

Most Read