Judge allows alleged victims’ testimony

The alleged victims of accused child molester William Ayres will be able to testify against the former child psychiatrist after an important ruling for the prosecution Thursday.

The decision by Superior Court Judge Norman Gatzert could have crippled the prosecution’s case, which Deputy District Attorney Melissa McKowan said would be based mostly on testimony of victims.

Ayres’ defense attorney, Doron Weinberg, in May filed a motion to suppress the alleged victims’ testimony, arguing the manner in which San Mateo police contacted the alleged victims was unconstitutional and violated doctor-patient confidentiality. Police used a search warrant to collect some 600 names of former 11- to 17-year-old patients of Ayres’ and began calling them looking for evidence, Weinberg said. Ayres is being charged with 20 counts of lewd acts with a minor under the age of 14.

“I am very confident we will get to trial and the dozens of men who were victimized by Dr. Ayres will have the opportunity finally to tell a jury what happened to them,” McKowan said.

The court found the need for the prosecution to use the information outweighed any minor intrusion into the alleged victims’ privacy, and that they had a right to come forward, McKowan said, reading from Gatzert’s decision given to her.

Ayres, 76, who walked slowly into the courtroom using a cane, sat quietly and did not speak as Gatzert delivered his lengthy written decision.

Weinberg said he would try to appeal the decision. He called San Mateo police’s method in obtaining Ayres’ former client list a “fishing expedition.”

“Because this is a high-profile case, Dr. Ayres has been convicted in the media as a child molester,” Weinberg said. “It’s very hard to get an objective judgment.”

Meanwhile, the date of Ayres’ trial remains uncertain. Both sides said last week they had agreed on a November trial date pending an unrelated homicide trial in Los Angelesfor one of Weinberg’s other clients that would start Sept. 29. McKowan is having surgery on her knee and will not return until Oct. 1.

Weinberg said in court Thursday he would like to move the trial date back to January, although it may be later depending on the results of the Los Angeles case. A tentative trial date of Jan. 5, 2009, was set Thursday.

“It’s time to get this show on the road,” said Victoria Balfour, who made the call to San Mateo police in April 2007 that jump-started the police’s investigation into Ayres.

Ayres, who was diagnosed with prostate cancer earlier this year, is free on $500,000 cash bail.

mrosenberg@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocal

Just Posted

Badly needed rain cooled off pedestrians on Market Street in The City on Wednesday. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
Storm door opens in San Francisco — what will the rains bring?

‘Come Monday, fire season in Northern California should be done’

Newly appointed City Attorney David Chiu will play a key role in an upcoming legal battle between gig economy companies and The City. (Sheila Fitzgerald/Shutterstock)
City Attorney David Chiu faces immediate test in major gig economy lawsuit

DoorDash and Grubhub are suing San Francisco over price controls

FILE — In-N-Out Burger, the popular California fast-food chain, is resisting San Francisco's public health rules that require indoor diners to show proof of vaccination. (J. Emilio Flores/The New York Times)
When it comes to San Francisco vaccine rules, In-N-Out should heed Biblical advice

Burger chain’s vaccine fight distracts from its tasty burgers and French fries controversy

The Walgreens at 4645 Mission St. in The City is among those slated to close. <ins>(Courtesy photo)</ins>
Walgreens says it’s closing five SF stores due to crime. Where’s the data?

Walgreens should be transparent, enlighten city leaders about crime’s effect on business

Lake Hennessey, a reservoir for Napa, looked dry in June. Gov. Gavin Newsom on Tuesday issued a proclamation extending the drought emergency statewide and asked residents to redouble water conservation efforts. <ins>(Mike Kai Chen/New York Times)</ins>
Newsom declares drought emergency across California

State closed out its second-driest water year on record

Most Read