Hotel attack victim struggling to survive

Raj Jain, a slight, grandfatherly 65-year-old, hadn’t been at his night clerk job at the Regency Inn for very long, but co-workers said they were impressed by his hard work and gentle manner.

Now the hotel staff is praying for Jain’s survival after authorities say two young men savagely attacked Jain on Saturday morning in a hotel room when he asked them to quiet down.

Jain is in critical condition and supported by a ventilator, Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said. Authorities said Jain suffered numerous broken bones and a possible skull fracture.

Two Sacramento men, 28-year-old Vutoro Mualevu and 21-year-old Isei Tikoisuva, are behind bars in connection with the attack. Bail has been denied.

“It was a vicious, vicious beating,” Wagstaffe said. “His face was basically crushed. If he survives, he will require extensive facial reconstruction.”

Prosecutors believe the two men drove from Sacramento to attend a party inside one of the hotel rooms Friday night. After complaints from other hotel guests, authorities say Jain knocked on the door at 4:30 a.m. Saturday and asked the partygoers to stop making so much noise.

“Out of nowhere, he was hit in the face with a beer bottle. He fell to the ground bleeding and they just started kicking and punching and whaling on him,” Wagstaffe said.

Authorities believe the two men beat Jain for several minutes. Fellow partygoers did not try to stop the attack, Wagstaffe said.

San Bruno police quickly surrounded the hotel and caught both men separately within two blocks of the building.

On Wednesday, Regency Inn manager Dinesh Patel said he and the other employees were trying to make sense of the attack.

“He went through a 12-hour surgery [Tuesday]. We’re hoping he’ll pull through. I can’t imagine why someone would do that to a small guy like that,” said Patel, who said Jain stood about 5 feet 5 inches.

Tikoisuva is 6 feet 1 inch tall and 200 pounds, while Mualevu is 5 feet 9inches tall and 190 pounds, Wagstaffe said. Both men are expected to enter pleas April 8.

Each is facing one count of attempted murder, one count of aggravated mayhem, two counts of felony assault and one count of felony assault causing great bodily injury. The mayhem charge is in connection with the man’s disfigurement. If convicted of all charges, they could face 10 years to life in prison, Wagstaffe said.

San Bruno Detective Sgt. Scott Luciano said police believe there are no other suspects in the attack.

tbarak@examiner.com

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Skier Andy Padlo crosses a frozen Spicer Reservoir. (Courtesy photo)
Stormy weather tests skiers’ mettle on Dardanelle traverse

Overcoming challenges makes outings more rewarding

Most Read