The 21-year-old suspected gang member accused of gunning down a father and two of his sons was charged with three counts of murder and ordered held without bail Friday.
Bologna and his sons were driving home from a family barbecue in Fairfield on Sunday and were just blocks away from their Excelsior district home when their car allegedly blocked a Chrysler 300 on a narrow stretch of Congdon Street, police say.
Police say that the car — carrying Ramos and at least two other passengers — backed up before Ramos opened fire on the Bologna family.
Ramos’ attorney, Joseph O’Sullivan, said his client will plead not guilty to all charges against him, which include three counts of murder with special circumstances — attached because of Ramos’ alleged gang affiliation.
Because of the special circumstances, the District Attorney’s Office can seek the death penalty in the case.
Although District Attorney Kamala Harris has vowed she would never pursue the death penalty, Chief Assistant District Attorney Russ Giuntini said in a news conference Friday that the office was still reviewing the facts of the case, and that no decision had been made regarding sentencing.
Ramos, who police say is a member of the violent Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) gang, postponed making a plea in the case until the next court hearing, scheduled for Thursday.
Wearing a prison-issued red sweat suit with shackles wrapped around his waist, Ramos did not face the court audience during his appearance Friday, the first time that he has been in court since he was arrested Wednesday.
He remained silent during the hearing, other than to confirm his identity to Judge Henry Ramsey.
O’Sullivan said his client is “quiet, unassuming, pensive and overwhelmed.”
Of police and prosecutors’ contention that Ramos is a member of the notorious MS-13 street gang, “They probably can associate him with a gang,” O’Sullivan said, “but they don’t carry membership cards.”
Bay City News contributed to this report.