Hearing set for dad charged with daughter’s manslaughter

The man who led San Francisco police to the body of his 5-month-old daughter will wait until next month to appear in court, despite exercising his right to a speedy trial less than two weeks ago.

Anthony Theard, 24, remains in custody on manslaughter and parole violation charges, his defense attorney, Danielle Harris, said.

A preliminary hearing — when the court determines if there’s sufficient evidence for a jury trial — is scheduled for Oct. 10, San Francisco Superior Court Judge Susan M. Breall decided Wednesday.

“We do have good cause to continue the matter [beyond today],” Breall said.

When Theard exercised his right to a speedy trial Sept. 7 — the same day he pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter and child abuse — he was entitled to a preliminary hearing by today. Since the San Francisco Medical Examiner’s Office has yet to release its autopsy and toxicology reports, that date was pushed back.

“We’re waiting for the toxicology reports. The tests themselves take some time,” prosecutor George Butterworth said.

Police arrested Theard after he called to report his 5-month old daughter Camille as kidnapped on Aug. 27. Three days later, while in custody on a parole violation, he led investigators to her body in a remote area of McLaren Park.

mcarroll@examiner.comBay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

The Rev. Norman Fong of the Chinatown Community Development Center joined San Francisco city leaders and community partners in a “Campaign for Solidarity” at Civic Center Plaza on Saturday, Apr 17, 2021. (CraigLee/Special to the S.F. Examiner)
City launches ‘Campaign for Solidarity’ to combat racial violence

Mayor London Breed, the city’s Human Rights Commission and community leaders launched… Continue reading

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Most Read