Google walks away from Yelp talks

Google Inc., the world’s most popular Internet search engine, has walked away from takeover talks with the consumer-review site Yelp Inc., a person familiar with the matter said.

Google executives pulled out because Yelp wasn’t being transparent during the discussions, according to the person, who declined to be identified because the talks were private. Google was in negotiations last week to buy Yelp for more than $500 million, according to another person familiar with the matter.

Google is on a buying spree, announcing at least six acquisitions this year. The company agreed last month to pay $750 million for AdMob Inc., a mobile-advertising startup. Google and Yelp could still restart negotiations in the future, said Jeremiah Owyang, an analyst with Altimeter Group in San Mateo, California.

“There’s no rush — there’s plenty of opportunity for discussions later,” he said. “It does make a lot of sense for Google to be part of this.”

Jane Penner, a spokeswoman for Mountain View, California- based Google, and Stephanie Ichinose, a spokeswoman for Yelp, declined to comment.

Yelp, based in San Francisco, features user reviews of restaurants, mechanics, dentists and other businesses. More than 26 million people visit the service monthly, and at least 8 million users post reviews. The site would have provided Google with local content, giving it new ways to sell advertising.

Google rose 92 cents to $599.60 at 2:32 p.m. New York time in Nasdaq Stock Market trading. The shares have almost doubled this year.

The technology blog TechCrunch and the New York Times reported on the breakdown in talks earlier this week.

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Gov. Gavin Newsom gave an update on COVID-19 cases on Thursday Nov. 3, 2020. (Examiner screenshot)
Newsom announces statewide stay-at-home order tied to availability of hospital beds

Order will take effect in Bay Area when intensive care unit capacity falls below 15 percent

Photo by Abalone Runner/ <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74406455" target="_blank">CC BY-SA 4.0</a>
Former Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard facing domestic violence, child abuse charges

Prominent Bay Area political strategist Nathan Ballard is facing domestic violence and… Continue reading

Construction crews work on new red bus rapid transit lanes on Van Ness Avenue on Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board scrutinizes Van Ness BRT spending

Proposed contract modification would allocate $2.6 million for pedestrian monitors

Mayor London Breed said “I need to hold myself to a higher standard” in response to criticism of a recent meal at a Napa Valley restaurant. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed calls criticism for French Laundry trip ‘fair’

Mayor said she regrets that actions ‘distracted’ from public health message as COVID-19 cases rise

City Administrator Naomi Kelly said Wednesday that the allegations against her husband were “based on the word of a liar.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Administrator Naomi Kelly takes leave after feds charge husband

High-ranking official under scrutiny over 2016 China trip

Most Read