Golden Gate Bridge barrier moving forward

Head-on collisions on the Golden Gate Bridge could be reduced within three years if appproval for a movable median barrier moves forward as planned, a spokeswoman for the bridge district said.

Creation of a 1-foot tall concrete barrier would replace the rubber pylons that are currently used to separate opposing traffic on the bridge. Safety advocates have been pushing for such a device for the last 70 years.

On Thursday, officials from a Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District subcommittee will vote on approving a contract to carry out the required environmental-impact study on the barrier. On Friday, the vote will go before the full Board of Directors.

It will likely take another month of additional regulation checks with local and state administrators before the study can begin — if  approved — according to bridge district spokeswoman Mary Currie.

The report is scheduled to take 20 months — an extended timeframe due to the bridge being a national landmark. The median barrier, which is designed to be movable to accomodate travel that differs greatly from morning to evening commutes, is expected to be completed by late 2011, Currie said.

Robert Guernsey, who helped found Citizens for a Safe Golden Gate Bridge, said advocacy groups have been pushing the bridge district to add a barrier for seven decades.

“We’re getting closer to our goal, but we really wonder why this wasn’t done years ago,” Guernsey said.

Guernsey’s concerns took on heightened relevance earlier this year when two separate head-on auto collisions left 10 people injured.

On March 26, seven people were hurt in a 10-vehicle crash that stemmed from a head-on collision. On May 21, three people were injured in a head-on collision, although that accident started after one car sideswiped another.

Since 1970, there have been 36 vehicle fatalities on the bridge, with 16 the result of head-on collisions, Currie said. The last fatality was in 2001, and the last from a head-on collision came in 1988, Currie said.

Bridge officials have consistently cited a lack of funding as the main reason for the absence of a moveable barrier.

In February, the district was awarded $20 million in state funds for the $25 million projected cost of the barrier. The remaining funds will come from tolls.

The environmental-impact study will cost roughly $2.8 million, which has already been included in the budget.

wreisman@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsGolden Gate BridgeLocalsafetyTransittransportation

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

San Francisco Police officers speak with people while responding to a call outside a market on Leavenworth Street in the Tenderloin on Tuesday, June 22, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
SFPD makes the case for more officers, citing Walgreens video

Most of us have seen the video. It shows a man filling… Continue reading

A 14-Mission Muni bus heads down Mission Street near Yerba Buena Gardens. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Pandemic experiments morph into long-term solutions for SF transit agency

The streets of San Francisco became real-time laboratories for The City’s public… Continue reading

NO CONNECTION TO SERVER:
Unable to connect to GPS server ‘blackpress.newsengin.com’
Debate reignites over San Francisco’s first public bank

Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, momentum was building for San Francisco to… Continue reading

Apprenticeship instructor Mike Miller, center, demonstrates how to set up a theodolite, a hyper-sensitive angle measuring device, for apprentices Daniel Rivas, left, Ivan Aguilar, right, and Quetzalcoatl Orta, far right, at the Ironworkers Local Union 377 training center in Benicia on June 10, 2021. (Courtesy Anne Wernikoff/CalMatters)
California’s affordable housing crisis: Are labor union requirements in the way?

By Manuela Tobias CalMatters California lawmakers introduced several bills this year that… Continue reading

Mayor London Breed spoke at the reopening of the San Francisco Public Library main branch on April 20. (Sebastian Miño-Bucheli/Special to The Examiner)
SF reopening more libraries through the summer

After a handful of San Francisco public libraries reopened last month for… Continue reading

Most Read