Golden Dragon ordered to pay back wages

One of San Francisco’s most famous — and infamous — Chinese restaurants has been hit with an order to pay more than $1 million in back wages and penalties.

The Office of Labor Standards Enforcement and the office of City Attorney Dennis Herrera announced Friday that an investigation into pay practices at the Golden Dragon restaurant revealed back wages owed to a total of 46 employees since 2004.

Before the San Francisco Health Department ordered it closed earlier this year, the Golden Dragon was a popular tourist destination, both for its dim sum and its gruesome history. The restaurant was the site of the 1977 “Golden Dragon massacre,” in which gangsters shot and killed four people and injured 11 more in a botched assassination attempt.

After the restaurant closed on January 17, 21 employees came forward to add their names to a growing list of complainants who reported that they had either been underpaid, received bad checks or gotten no payment at all for work done at the Golden Dragon.

On Friday, after a hearing in the San Francisco Controller’s Office, the labor standards office issued an administrative order calling on the Golden Dragon to pay $1.065 million in back wages and penalties.

The restaurant’s owners, Big Hong Ng and Gim Bong Lee, will also have to pay for the cost of the investigation, an unspecified amount not to exceed $871,300.

A number listed for the Golden Dragon was disconnected Friday. Lawyer Gregory De La Pena, mentioned in the statement of findings as counsel for Ng, could not be reached for comment.

“The City argued for penalties against the Golden Dragon because the owners flagrantly violated the law,” labor standards division manager Donna Levitt said in a statement. “This order makes it clear that a business cannot escape their responsibility to pay their workers by closing.”

Last year, workers at the Golden Dragon picketed the restaurant in order to collect their back wages. Levitt indicated that a subsequent investigation found that those back wages were below The City’s minimum wage.

“I am delighted that The City is enforcing its minimum wage laws and making sure that workers are not treated unfairly by unscrupulous employers. This is proof that the city of San Francisco means business and is going to go after employers who exploit their workers,” Supervisor Aaron Peskin, in whose district the Golden Dragon operated, said Friday.

This is the first case that has gone to a hearing and resulted in an order under The City’s minimum wage ordinance. That law, passed by voters in November 2003, set The City’s minimum wage at $8.50 per hour on Feb. 23, 2004, then increased it to $8.62 per hour on Jan 1, 2005 and then $8.62 on Jan 1, 2006.

City Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Alexis Truchan said the case will pave the way for similar orders in the future.

amartin@examiner.comBay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City College union deal staves off layoffs, class cuts

One year agreement allows community college time to improve its finances

A Homeless Outreach Team member speaks with homeless people along Jones Street in the Tenderloin on Wednesday, May 6, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed proposes another street outreach team to divert calls away from police

San Francisco would launch a new street outreach team to respond to… Continue reading

Chelsea Hung, who owns Washington Bakery and Restaurant in Chinatown with her mother, said the restaurant is only making about 30 percent of pre-pandemic revenues. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Chinatown’s slow recovery has business owners fearing for the future

Lack of outside visitors threatens to push neighborhood into ‘downward spiral’

A worker sets up irrigation lines to water almond tree rootstocks along Road 36 in Tulare, Calif. (Gary Coronado/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Gov. Gavin Newsom extends drought emergency to 41 California counties

Faith E. Pinho Los Angeles Times In a stark indication of California’s… Continue reading

Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a new stimulus plan on Monday. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner file photo)
More Californians would get new $600 stimulus checks from the state under Newsom plan

Sophia Bollag The Sacramento Bee Two-thirds of Californians would get an extra… Continue reading

Most Read