A heroic 7-year-old girl alerted her family and other residents to a two-alarm fire in Vallejo this morning, Vallejo Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief LaMonte Morris said.
The girl, sleeping in the upstairs apartment at 722 Grant St. where the fire started, woke up to the smell of smoke and alerted her mother and sister to the fire, Morris said.
“That 7-year-old is a hero. She saved her family,” Morris said.
Residents in the other two apartments were able to exit the building before fire crews arrived, Morris added. Fire crews were called about 4:50 a.m., Morris said. Residents told firefighters that there were no smoke detectors in any of the apartments, and fire crews were unable to find any, according to Morris.
The fire is being investigated as an accident and is believed to have started near a wall heater in the upstairs apartment, Morris said. Families were displaced because of fire damage to the upstairs apartment and smoke and water damage to the other two apartments, Morris said.