Girl alerts family to two-alarm fire

A heroic 7-year-old girl alerted her family and other residents to a two-alarm fire in Vallejo this morning, Vallejo Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief LaMonte Morris said.

The girl, sleeping in the upstairs apartment at 722 Grant St. where the fire started, woke up to the smell of smoke and alerted her mother and sister to the fire, Morris said.

“That 7-year-old is a hero. She saved her family,” Morris said.

Residents in the other two apartments were able to exit the building before fire crews arrived, Morris added. Fire crews were called about 4:50 a.m., Morris said. Residents told firefighters that there were no smoke detectors in any of the apartments, and fire crews were unable to find any, according to Morris.

The fire is being investigated as an accident and is believed to have started near a wall heater in the upstairs apartment, Morris said. Families were displaced because of fire damage to the upstairs apartment and smoke and water damage to the other two apartments, Morris said.

Bay City News

Just Posted

Grieving mother fears for family’s safety as community of slain teen works to heal

Wearing necklaces with laminated photos of Day’von Hann over their hearts, friends… Continue reading

SFPD to hold LGTBQ ‘reconciliation and recognition’ night at Glide Memorial

Police hope to acknowledge hateful history, build trust

Vaping proponents sue SF over language for November ballot measure

Proponents for a measure backed by E-cigarette maker Juul Labs Inc. that… Continue reading

Presidential candidates, national leaders make their case at DNC meeting in San Francisco

Factions of the Democratic Party and the broader progressive political movement faced… Continue reading

City cuts to long-term mental health beds prompt protest

Elected officials, hospital staff call move to short-term beds for homeless ‘short-sighted’

Most Read