Former SF officials plead not guilty in corruption case

Former SF officials plead not guilty in corruption case

Three former San Francisco public officials accused of taking bribes in a case stemming from the federal prosecution of an alleged Chinatown gang leader pleaded not guilty to all charges Thursday after months of wrangling between prosecutors and defense attorneys.

Keith Jackson, a former school board president turned political consultant, former Human Rights Commissioner Nazly Mohajer and former commission staff member Zula Mae Jones are accused of soliciting and accepting $20,000 in bribes from an undercover FBI agent in exchange for preferential treatment on city contracts.

The three were arrested and charged in January but held off on entering a plea until now while defense attorneys fought efforts by the prosecution to keep details of the case under seal, a move that attorneys said hampered their ability to defend their clients.

Prosecutors successfully argued that unsealing the complaint and affidavit in the case, which stems from a previous federal investigation, could jeopardize undercover agents, witnesses and innocent parties.

After months of dueling legal motions, defense attorneys agreed Thursday to move forward with the case after prosecutors said they would file the arrest affidavit in a public but heavily redacted form.

Despite the agreement, however, tensions remain high in the case. Defense attorney John Keker, who is representing Jones, called the redactions “stupid” and “transparent,” alleging that they appeared to be primarily redacting the names of Mayor Ed Lee, former Mayor Willie Brown and other public officials.

Keker also accused Assistant District Attorney Kelly Burke of “sitting on” potentially exculpatory information from the defense — which under a state law signed into law last week is now potentially a felony offense. Outside court, he said prosecutors are only allowing defense to see material if they sign agreements that hamper their ability to investigate the case.

Keker said he planned to continue to fight for the release of more material, promising “we’re going to have World War III” over the issue. He also said he would consider going to the state attorney general or filing a civil rights lawsuit if needed.

Burke called the allegations “outrageous” and said that any evidence in the case is available to the defense “subject to the protective order.”

Deputy Public Defender Niki Solis, who is representing Jackson, said while she did not like the redactions, she wanted to move forward with the case, which involves charges dating back to 2012.

Jackson is already serving a federal prison term in connection with a previous federal investigation that resulted in the prosecution of Raymond “Shrimp Boy” Chow, former state Sen. Leland Yee and others.

Chow was convicted in January of 162 counts including murder, while Yee and Jackson pleaded guilty last year to one count of participating in a racketeering conspiracy to accept campaign contributions in exchange for political favors.

“He’s been dragged through the mud, he’s been kicked while he’s down,” Solis said of Jackson, noting that he had no criminal record before the federal prosecution. “This whole prosecution, it flummoxes me because he’s already serving time in prison.”

Mohajer and Jones were not charged in the federal case, but their names were publicly connected to the case in excerpts of FBI wiretap applications cited in a filing by Chow’s attorneys last year.

The defendants were ordered to return to court on Oct. 11 to set a preliminary hearing date.City HallCrimeKeith JacksonMayor Ed LeeNazly MohajerPoliticsZula Jones

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Folks wave from the side of a Muni cable car as it heads down Powell Street after cable car service returns from a 16-month COVID absence on Monday, Aug. 2, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
San Francisco’s cable cars return after 16-month absence

San Francisco’s cable cars are back, and they’re free for passengers to… Continue reading

Tiffany Carter, owner of Boug Cali West Coast Creole Shack in San Francisco’s La Cocina Marketplace, was dismayed by gentrification she found when she returned to her hometown to start a business. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
SF Black Wallstreet: Helping residents build wealth, reclaim spaces they’ve had to leave

Tiffany Carter moved back to her hometown of San Francisco five years… Continue reading

Christina Najjar, 30, a TikTok star known online as Tinx, is one of the social media influencers tapped by the White House to help promote COVID-19 vaccines among young people. (Alyson Aliano/The New York Times)
How an ‘influencer army’ is fighting vaccine lies

By Taylor Lorenz New York Times Ellie Zeiler, 17, a TikTok creator… Continue reading

A great white shark swims off Isla Guadalupe, Mexico. The term “shark attack” is slowly disappearing, at least as a phrase used by researchers and officials who have been rethinking how to describe the moments when sharks and humans meet. (Benjamin Lowy/The New York Times)
Don’t call them ‘shark attacks,’ scientists say

By Alan Yuhas New York Times On the beaches of Northern California,… Continue reading

Vickie Gaddy, a nurse at the intensive care unit, with a 44-year-old patient who later died, at Providence St. John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, July 27, 2021. Doctors at the hospital say more younger people with COVID-19 are being sent to the ICU. (Isadora Kosofsky/The New York Times)
New COVID surge at a California ICU: ‘When will this ever end?’

By Isadora Kosofsky and Shawn Hubler New York Times Two months ago… Continue reading

Most Read