Ben Margot/ap file photoKwame Harris was arrested Sunday for reportedly being under the influence of drugs

Former 49er Kwame Harris convicted for assault on ex-boyfriend

Former 49er Kwame Harris was found guilty Monday of multiple misdemeanor charges but acquitted of all felony counts in connection with an assault on his ex-boyfriend at a Chinese restaurant in Menlo Park.

Harris was found guilty of misdemeanor domestic violence, battery and assault for the Aug. 21, 2012 altercation — which also outed the NFL lineman as gay two years after his retirement.

However, he was acquitted of felony domestic violence and assault charges, prosecutors said. The former first round draft pick, who played six seasons with the 49ers and Raiders, faces a maximum sentence of one year in prison when he is sentenced Nov. 12.

The dispute reportedly began at Su Hong restaurant, where Harris disagreed with ex-lover Dimitri Geier’s use of soy sauce during their meal. The argument escalated and Harris attempted to pull down Geier’s pants in the restaurant, claiming the undergarments belonged to him.

The altercation continued outside when Geier, who had planned to get a ride from Harris to the airport, attempted to retrieve his luggage from the Harris’ car. Harris punched Geier several times in the face, causing a skull fracture that required the installation of a metal plate, prosecutors said.

Harris’ attorney reportedly plans to appeal the misdemeanor convictions on the grounds that Geier had initiated the violence.

The criminal case exposed that Harris had been secretive about his sexual orientation before retiring from the NFL. No active player in the league has ever been openly gay.

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsKwame HarrisNational Football LeagueSan Francisco 49ers

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

SF Police Commission votes to expand use-of-force policy

Decision to bypass union negotiations could set stage for litigation

City Attorney seeks to recoup ‘illegal profits’ gained by Walter Wong through city contracts

San Francisco will seek to recover “illegal profits” gained by well-known permit… Continue reading

Free Muni for Youth program expansion halted by SFMTA budget crisis

Low- and moderate-income kids can still travel for free

Newsom orders multiple counties to shut down bars, indoor restaurants as COVID-19 cases rise

As confirmed cases of COVID-19 rise in California, Gov. Gavin Newsom on… Continue reading

Most Read