Filipino activist denied entry to U.S. for speaking tour sent back to Manila

An activist who was detained Tuesday after entering the U.S. at San Francisco International Airport this week for a speaking tour addressing a human rights crisis in the Philippines was denied entry and sent back to Manila, according to his colleagues.

Jerome Aladdin Succor Aba was scheduled to arrive at SFO around 8 p.m. Tuesday, but U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents detained him. Aba’s friends spent hours waiting for him outside the international arrivals terminal, uncertain of what happened.

When they learned that Aba had been denied entry, they launched a protest on short notice, bringing banners and a sound system to the airport demanding that Aba be allowed into the country, or at least allowed access to legal representation through National Lawyers Guild personnel who went to the airport to help.

SEE RELATED: Activist from Phillipines detained at airport for removal from U.S.

They even launched a hashtag, #AllowJeromeEntry, that was used in dozens of tweets and retweets within the activist community.

Nonetheless, early Thursday morning Aba boarded a flight back to Manila around 12:30 a.m., according to Terry Valen, a spokesman for the International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines.

“That was ridiculous,” Valen said, later describing the incident as a human rights violation at SFO.

“They held him for more than 24 hours,” Valen said. “Basically it’s illegal detention.

According to him, they told Aba there was a “glitch” with his visa.

Customs officials said they were prohibited from discussing Aba’s case specifically when asked for more information on Wednesday, citing privacy laws, but said that country of origin and human rights activism are not determining factors in cases like his.

It is unclear at this time if and when Aba will attempt to travel to the U.S. again.

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

San Francisco supervisors approved zoning changes that will allow a chain grocery store to occupy the bottom floor of the 555 Fulton St. condo building. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
Trader Joe’s approved for Hayes Valley, bringing long-awaited grocery store

New Seasons Market canceled plans at 555 Fulton St. citing construction delays

Gov. Newsom wants $4.2 billion to finish the Central Valley link for the bullet train, but legislators aren’t sold. (Illustration by Anne Wernikoff, CalMatters; iStock; CA High Speed Rail Authority; Shae Hammond for CalMatters)
Bullet train budget battle: Should California spend more on urban transit, not high-speed rail?

By Marissa Garcia CalMatters High-speed rail was supposed to connect California’s urban… Continue reading

Cooks work in the kitchen at The Vault Garden. (Courtesy Hardy Wilson)
Help wanted: SF restaurants are struggling to staff up

Some small businesses have to ‘sweeten the pot’ when hiring workers

Gov. Gavin Newsom speaks at Ruby Bridges Elementary School in Alameda during a March 2021 press conference. (Credit Ed Reed/EdSource)
How California plans to deter costly special education disputes

Fund is meant to help parents and schools settle differences before heading to court

Most Read